Monday, June 22, 2015

MiM Mail: Medical school timing

I have wanted to pursue medicine since first being exposed to it in nursing school. Throughout nursing school and my career as a nurse I have had a desire for the knowledge, skills, decision making and leadership that comes with being a physician.

I will be finishing my prerequisites in the fall and can take the MCAT in the spring with the potential of going to medical school in 2017 with an almost 3 year old and 16 month old. (I am currently 8 weeks pregnant!)

My question is, should I apply as soon as possible or should I spend a few years with my babies while they are still babies? Would it be easier to complete school if my wee ones are are at least potty trained?

A handful of physicians encourage me to do NP, CRNA or PA but I know I won't be satisfied as a mid level. On the other hand I'm not thrilled about all the time I'll be missing with my babies!

I'm 27 years old and my husband is very supportive. We could also get a nanny at any time if needed. Looking for some words of wisdom from those of you who have gone down this path! Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. Hello! I'm a 32 year old 3rd year pregnant medical student, and since nobody else has responded to your question thought I would chirp in my 2 cents. I don't have a child yet - so my opinion could totally change in the next few months. I would go ahead with your plans for 2017! I imagine with raising kids there will always be another milestone around the corner, potentially pushing back your start date. While I still plan on graduating in 4 years, there are plenty of people at my school that have for one reason or another taken time off and will graduate in 5 years. So if something comes up for you, it seems like it is a lot easier to take time out of medical school than it would be in residency or any other time in the future.

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Ash's statement that there will always be another milestone that could push back your start date, but 3 and 16 months is a lot more work than 4 and a little over 2. Better sleeping, more adult food eating, probably not breastfeeding, even having one kid out of diapers will make your lives a lot easier. You've got the flexibility and being a little older is not so unusual in med school anymore and you can likely find a school that has a student body and an administration that values and is supportive of a student who brings a diverse personal and professional background like you've got. I've even heard of programs that have 5 year curricula so you can move at a less intense pace. This path is a tough one with long hours and lots of stress. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just don't make it harder than it has to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a former RN, now 3rd year med student and momma to a very active 3 year old, I understand your dilemma. My advice would be to go ahead with your current plans. If medicine is what your heart desires, nothing else will satisfy that longing. It will be challenging and rewarding at the same time. With a supportive spouse (which you have), it is very possible. Don't give in to the pressure to settle for anything less. When i started med school, my princess was barely 16 months. If i can, anyone can...You can do this! Don't give up! Wishing you the best of luck!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you I needed to hear that!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.