Friday, June 12, 2015

When I grow up...

It's residency application season! ERAS opened a few weeks ago (coinciding with the sudden onset of palpitations among fourth-year medical students across the country...) As I work on my personal statement and gather letters of recommendation, I've been doing a lot of thinking about why I came to medical school and why I'm choosing my particular specialty.

I came to medical school fueled by a love for biology and a deep desire to help people in need. I'd always liked studying and was willing to work hard to learn how to best help my patients. Yet, after my daughter was born, I began to seriously consider whether or not I wanted to finish medical school. Suddenly, all of the caring energy I'd poured into my patients was directed toward one tiny little human. Morning rounds were replaced by silly songs and walks to the park; sign-out by baths and bedtime stories; overnight call by q2 hour feeds and diaper changes. There are plenty of people who want to be doctors, I thought, as I cradled my daughter in my arms. I'm the only mother she has.

When my daughter was 8 weeks old, I went back to school to finish my third-year clerkships. Those first months were harder than I'd expected. I hated being away from my daughter, hated scrounging for time and space to pump, hated feeling like I was less than half the mother and student I wanted to be. I had a hard time switching between hospital-mode and home-mode - it seemed that by the time I'd settle back into being a bumbling first-time mom, I had to leave again to be the clueless third-year medical student who couldn't remember the names of nerves or the proper technique for position patients on the operating table.

Many nights were spent with me crying to my poor beleaguered husband (who was taking on most of the childcare responsibilities while I was back on rotations) about how I hated all things medical. We went over all the possible scenarios we could imagine, looking for an exit strategy: maybe I should just drop out and save us all a lot of misery; maybe I should graduate but not pursue residency; maybe I should keep going and hope it would get better.

On many occasions, I came close to choosing one of those first two options. In the end, though, I always stuck with the third. And as time went on, it did get better. I finished the rotations I'd been less fond of, the world miraculously emerged from winter, and life began to look a little more hopeful. When my daughter was five months old, I started an Acting Internship in the specialty I'd been planning to pursue - and to my relief and even delight, I found that I enjoyed it just as much as I had before she was born. Although I still felt sad when leaving in the morning, I was quickly engaged in pre-rounding on patients and discussing management decisions with the residents and attending. I looked forward to seeing my patients each morning and found it exciting to collaborate with other providers to find the best diagnostic and treatment options. I began to feel a sense of professional identity that had faded somewhat in those first postpartum months. When I came home, I was eager to talk with my husband about the diagnoses I'd made, and even more eager to throw myself wholeheartedly into feeding, bathing and snuggling my daughter until bedtime.

Those four weeks of Acting Internship - during which I felt for the first time that being a mother in medicine was not only a possible option but actually a life-giving one - are part of what has kept me motivated to finish medical school and complete post-graduate training. I feel that I have rediscovered the passion that brought me to medical school in the first place, and am grateful that it has been proven in the testing fire of new motherhood. I know that residency will bring many challenges, both familiar and novel, but I am encouraged by the fact that as I advance in my training, I will move increasingly into the areas of medicine that I most enjoy - the areas that give me a sense of purpose distinct from and complementary to that which I find in motherhood.

What about the rest of you MiM? Were there times when you questioned whether medicine and motherhood were compatible? What motivated you to become a physician, and what keeps you going in your field?

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. Also, I think it's important not to make any drastic decisions in the first months, maybe the first year, of motherhood. … It's hard. It would be hard, frankly, if you were at home full-time during that period. So glad you stuck with it and you had a supportive husband. It's also reasonable for goals and priorities to change, but when people are experiencing such drastic changes as you described (and many of us have felt) it is often not lasting. … One issue - I think it really is unreasonable to separate mothers from infants. I think you (and many of us) would have less dramatic responses if we got a solid 3-4 months with our newborns. It's too bad that the medical education/training calendar is so rigidly a 12-month cycle - so that missing a couple extra months means missing a year. … I am really in a mood of questioning why things "have to" be the way they are. I am not sure they do. Alas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wholeheartedly agree with you about avoiding drastic decisions in the first months of motherhood! From where I stand now I'm also glad that I stuck it out, though at the time I couldn't see past what was right in front of me. I'm hopeful that if I have more kids, I'll be able to remember the lessons from my first time around, even in the midst of postpartum exhaustion. I also wonder how much of my feelings about the situation were related to needing/wanting more time at home with my daughter while she was so small. Maybe part of what made my AI so great was that she was 5 months rather than 2 - starting on solid foods (aka less dependent on me for all nourishment), sleeping longer stretches at night, seeming to enjoy time with dad and grandma.

      Delete
  2. Every time I spend time with my son, whether it is the evenings I am home from work or on the weekends, I question why I would ever want to spend time away from him. But then every time I go to work, I hardly think about my family because I am so engrossed in providing the best care that I can for my patients. I love both my jobs--as a physician and as a mother--and I hope that my son sees how much I love both. I want him to find a profession or job that allows him to do the same. That's what keeps me going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I love both my jobs--as a physician and as a mother--and I hope that my son sees how much I love both." Great comment! I'm hoping that I can maintain some of that sentiment throughout my training and career. Right now I just want my daughter to know that I love her to pieces when I am with her, but when she's older I hope I'll be able to convey to her the meaning and purpose I find in medicine as well.

      Delete
  3. I wonder how many of us would quit before the end if the debt load didn't make staying the only real feasible option for the non-independently wealthy. I'm in one of those less than optimistic moments right now, missing my kids, feeling not good enough as a student, wishing I had a paycheck instead of student loans. Then again, maybe it's a good thing leaving is so difficult to manage. Quitting is tempting in the face of such difficult days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larissa, you make a really good point about the burden of student debt making it seem like there's "no out" aside from finishing the entire gauntlet of medical school and postgraduate training. I hope that things start to look brighter for you soon. I know that the "less than optimistic" moments can be downright depressing.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larissa and other struggling student mothers - just remember we do have access to free mental health counseling as students! … I have used my schools resource and found it helped a lot. (It depends a lot on the quality of the counselor, of course. But it's free. So it can be worth a try).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second the value of free student health services - I used my school's counseling services in my first two years, and wish I had gone back for a few sessions in those rougher postpartum months. Part of the reason I didn't was that I felt like there wasn't time to fit an appointment into my schedule (something I imagine many mothers, not only mothers in medicine, experience). But prioritizing your own health (mental and physical) is one of the most important things you can do as a mother. I hope I'll remember that advice in the future!

      Delete
  6. When people ask me about picking specialties and medical career paths, I always tell them that no matter what they choose, the period of residency is going to be painful. I had a time during residency when every day I pondered quitting. (I wasn't a mother then but was having lots of health problems, and dealing with stresses outside of work seemed to be just too much.) My husband encouraged me to continue because at that point just getting the credentials would be useful even if I never practiced on the exact path as my coresidents. I'm glad I did, because now I am a practicing anesthesiologist (definitely with a slightly unconventional job), and I am very happy.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.