Monday, June 29, 2015

Moving and credentialing are like oil and water

The last 3 months my husband O has been packing while I have been working on getting credentialed. His boxes are brown and filled with books and mine are checkie-boxes that I slowly work through. His boxes move us toward relocating while mine push us further and further away from our goal of saving money ($731 for DEA license, $130 for DC Controlled Substances License, the list goes on and on) but closer to my first job as a Pediatric Attending Physician.

The only one of us who has had fun packing is our almost 4 year old. His favorite activities include: throwing empty boxes, making forts out of boxes, and sliding on boxes. One day O and I heard a loud crash as he and his friends decided to pack his room; they did a pretty good job of placing all of his toys in a large box and then they proceeded to drag it into the hallway so he could move. It was endearing for about an hour until he began rummaging through it to get toys that he now decided he just had to have.

I am writing now so that I can take a break from packing another box of dishes. Packing dishes has helped me realize that we have a ton of dishes we don’t even use. I am purging these unused items because I refuse to pack them and I’ll be happier with less clutter. We have made so many trips to our local donation center I cannot even count them and each time I wonder where all of this stuff came from, while controlling my desire to “just hold on” to that thing I haven’t used in months but that I absolutely “need” (like the expensive Dr. Brown’s baby bottles, they are totally keepers!).

The last 3 months have shown me that working, while doing on-line orientation modules and handling credentialing just don’t mix. There isn’t enough time in the day. Thankfully, credentialing is all done and in less than 3 weeks I will be a full-fledged Attending Pediatrician! Unfortunately our movers come in 3 days and I now can’t seem to motivate myself to press on and I have no more credentialing to use as my excuse. It’s game time. Relocation here we come! But for now I’m just going to sleep.

5 comments:

  1. HELLO,

    I JUST FOUND YOUR BLOG IN GOOGLE, AND I'M STARTING READING IT... (EXCITED FACE)
    I'M BRAZILIAN, 32 Y OLD, MOM OF A 2Y OLD LITTLE GIRL AND RHEUMATHOLOGIST WORKING FULL TIME!! - 12 HOURS/DAY AND I REALLY NEED (SOMETIMES) A FRIENDLY CONVERSATION ABOUT THIS 'CAUSE I CAN REALLY EMOTIONAL AND GUILTY (YES!!) SOOOO GUILTY. SHE HAS SITTER AND MY MOM HELPS A LOT DURING THE WEEK.

    SO... IM VERY HAPPY FOR "KNOWING" YOU GUYS!!

    XOXO

    KARINE PIMENTEL

    ReplyDelete
  2. AND I ALMOST FORGOT... I'M GOING TO NYC IN OCTOBER (ME AND MY HUSBAND- MY DAUGHTER IS TOO YOUNG ), I 'M REAAALLY EXCITED ABOUT IT...IT WILL BE MY 1ST TIME THERE. JUST CAN'T HOLD THE EXCITMENT!

    KISSES GIRLS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karine - glad that you've found us. If you are interested in submitting a guest post, please follow the "share with us" link at the top of the page. I started out writing guest posts as a medical student and found the posts and comment extremely helpful. Congratulations on being a momma and Rheumatologist! Also, if you are on Facebook, there are some nice Physician-mom groups that I find really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Placing toys away in boxes suddenly makes them 50% more attractive, I've found.(like toys that are in a box for donation that have not been touched in 3 years suddenly must be rescued and played with.) Hope your move goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your new job will reimburse you for your licenses!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.