Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Little Fizzy

I'm on vacation this week and have gone back "home" (when will my parents' house stop being "home"?) to give the grandparents a crack at their granddaughter and score some free babysitting. While I'm here, my mother has gently suggested that I clear some of the crap out of my old bedroom.

I won't bore you with stories of rediscovering my old sticker collection (stickers!!!) or a large bag of rocks that I've inexplicably been saving for the last two dozen years. However, there were a few (embarrassing) gems worth commenting on, in which stupid naive young Fizzy contemplated the future. The following snippet was written when I was nine years old:



I can't remember ever wanting to be a psychiatrist. Although I think the most amusing thing is that my misspelling of the word made it dangerously close to my actual specialty of physiatrist. (I had no idea what a physiatrist was when I was nine. I'm still not entirely sure.) By the way, this was what I thought a psychiatrist did:



I showed this writing assignment to my father, who commented, "See how dumb you were? Wanting to fast forward through time..." But actually, not so dumb. (And also, I predicted the plot of a future Adam Sandler movie.) In any case, I sure as hell wouldn't want to do any of that schooling over again. I'm pretty glad it's all behind me. Well, except for some parts of college. Ah, college.

Of course, I've saved the best part for last, because I just can't stop until I've completely humiliated myself:



So apparently, at nine years old, I had two goals: to get through med school to become a phy(s)iatrist and to have a daughter. Check and check.

High five, little Fizzy!

9 comments:

  1. Haha! You were pretty smart for a 9 year old.

    And actually, your idea of what a psychiatrist does is kind of sort of spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the xmas tree bit was what my father told me that he did when I asked him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kellie (General Surgeon/Mother)June 9, 2010 at 9:44 AM

    That's just awesome!
    Even if it is a little embarrassing, it's still darned cute and fun to see what we were "thinking" at such a young age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were a cute kid! That's a lot more thought than I ever gave my future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great, Fizzy! I'll bet your husband feels safer going to bed at night now, knowing your anti- husband beheading principles that developed at such an early age.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! Just two weeks ago, I invited my mom to bring some things over since I was having a garage sale. She ended up bringing over a few boxes from my old bedroom, and I spent an hour rediscovering a bunch of really cool stuff, too.

    And it's funny... for all the anatomy books and science stuff I came across in those boxes, I can't believe I actually became an ENGLISH teacher before moving on to med school. What the???

    Oh well. At least I know myself and am moving on now.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.