Thursday, June 10, 2010

Guest posts, bottling moments, and Facebook

As we wrap up reflections of this past year, I'd be remiss not to mention all the guest posts that have sent in that have become part of the fabric of our blog. I love all of these posts that give voice to this greater community --and encourage you to send yours too whenever inspiration strikes. Each guest post has been wonderful, real, authentic (26 in total just this past year!), but I think my favorite might have been this one, by neurosurgeon GCS15, writing so honestly (and heart-breakingly) about a very difficult day as part of our Topic Week on A Day in the Life. I think all of us reading could instantly understand and wanted to help, to be there to help,to help by the comments we left behind.

I guess my favorite post of my own was writing about a moment in time that I wanted to last forever. Well, I did. And I didn't. Our children grow up way too fast and I find that writing about a moment can serve to bottle that feeling to keep in your pocket and whip out at a later date (like when he's begging for the car keys to go out with friends) *hyperventilate*

Being a mother in medicine (capitalized and uncapitalized) has been so rewarding.

(Non sequitur update: As some of you know, I write humor in my spare time and, incidentally, have an op-ed in today's USA Today on why patients should not friend their doctors on Facebook. Perhaps the topic of a whole other post some other time...as would be a future post on "spare time.")

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I just read the post by neurosurgeon GCS 15....brought me to tears too. I hope she has found some balance in her life and is enjoying some well deserved time with her family. So brave and honest for her to share her story. I wish her the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. KC, that is an excellent article. Very good points about potential HIPAA violations, after an entertaining beginning. I am very limited about what I put on FB - political, religious views aren't there - simply because I have some work friends - physicians and lab workers - and I don't want to bring that to a wider arena (even though most people know).

    I am glad I don't have many patients and haven't had to worry about that, yet. Good to have experienced people in case it ever comes up. I'm such a bleeding heart it would be hard for me to say no. And I read that NYT article about the resident who didn't say yes and regretted it when her patient died, and might have used that as a frame of reference. Your article makes it conclusive, and gives docs (and nurses) an easy, sensible out.

    I knew you wrote that one article "Paying at the Pump," but am looking forward to clicking on write humor to see if I am missing anything else. Need to get back to my cases, now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for keeping us organized,and all the work that goes into recruitting and fostering our creative side. Maybe we should have a humor week...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article!

    I actually joined Facebook because someone in my medical school class started a page when we got accepted, to help us share information.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.