Sunday, May 31, 2009

Better than a birthday

The one year anniversary of Mothers in Medicine is like a birthday for me, but better. I guess it's like a birthday back in the day when getting a year older was the most awesome thing that could happen to you. Like that day, a month ago, when my daughter woke up and said, "I'm FOUR!" with so much enthusiasm, I thought I could see fireworks and rockets swirling around her head. Turning four was so good.

I think from the idea of wanting to start a group blog of physician-mothers to the actual launch was possibly 2 weeks or less. Things happened quickly. I distinctly remember driving home one night after some event with my husband and having The Idea. That's what we need! A group blog! For mothers! In medicine! After that, it was all momentum.

Starting out, I didn't know the majority of women who joined me to become regular contributors. But, over the past year, in writing together the joys and struggles and challenges and humor that come with this territory, they have become friends.

This year has been amazing. Amazing to see the growth of this blog community which continues to steadily grow. We've had 5 topic days. 18 guest posts. Over 290 posts. Over 120,000 page loads. I'm excited to see what this next year brings.

And probably some of the best moments have been hearing from you, the readers, about what Mothers in Medicine means to you. I encourage you to write in, give feedback, suggestions, submit guest posts, be involved. Because we are all in this together.

In reflecting on this year's posts and what stood out for me, I realized many of them have already been highlighted by my fellow MiM writers. Yet, there was one that wasn't: we received a comment to one of the posts that was so, well, amazing, that we posted it as a guest post proper, even though we never did track down who it was that left the comment.

Guest Post: A comment from a daughter

Thanks for reading (and sharing your stories),
KC

6 comments:

  1. KC:
    We wouldn't have been nearly so successful without your insight, your inspiration and your leadership through the year. Kudos to you for following through on your idea, thanks for asking me to be a part of it, and best wishes to us all in the year(s) ahead.
    A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your one year anniversary! This is one of my favorite medblogs. Looking forward to another great year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, thank you for everything, KC, especially allowing me to be a part of this. You've been a great moderator this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you KC for getting us together on all these sometimes funny, always intriguing, serious and/or silly discussions. More to come. Happy birthday/anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! And sorry for that comment spam eyesore on the linked post. Tried in vain to delete it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.