Monday, June 1, 2009

once I get through May (June, July, August...)

It's Monday morning, hope y'all had a great weekend. I did, but the weekends haven't been a problem, relaxing with Husband, Just Five, and Almost Three, as silly and lovable as they all are. Work-wise, though, I've noticed a trend I've fallen into all too often of late. I find I'll have a lot on my plate, usually professionally (sometimes personally) and so I say to myself calmly, if I can just get through May, then I'll have a lot less to do. I'll just get through all these deadlines that have crept up on me for early, mid, and late May, and then I'll be set. But of course, then June rolls around and I have yet more decisions to make, work to get started on, tasks to complete, things to prepare... They are things I enjoy, usually, but a lot of things nonetheless!

Well, when I had my little fender bender last Monday (no one was hurt, kids not in the car) I had an all to harsh reminder that it was time to slow down, literally and figuratively. Might not have been my fault, after all, in an accident you don't intentionally bump into another car, maybe it bumped into you. Who knows? Then, get this, after the accident and exchanging information and seeing that every one's okay, and taking care of all those necessary details, I got back in my car, drove to my morning meeting, walked in a few minutes late apologizing that I had an unexpected delay, and proceeded to lead the meeting for which I'd set the agenda. Only afterwards did I share what had happened with a trusted colleague, and then with my mom (with whom I cried on the phone) and had already called my ever so supportive ("It could happen to any of us") husband.

So, I've decided to slow down, this month, now, today. You?

4 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about the accident, but glad all parties were okay.

    I know what you mean about slowing down. I feel like I'm constantly re-evaluating my priorities and what needs to go, what stays. This balance thing is dynamic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were ok. Accidents can shake anybody up.

    Its also amazing what the human body and brain can do when it wants to. A fender bender like that could have shaken you, but you were able to shove it aside to get to your meeting etc. It also served as a reminder to slow down.

    Drive safe and smell the roses once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement, Bus Driver! I imagine you drive the bus very carefully and can even take in see the scenery :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, yes, I know this mentality well...if I can only get through my qualifiers...my dissertation...grad school...anatomy...pharmacology...sugery clerkship...ob/gyn...have this baby...interviews...match day...subI...graduation
    where did the past 9 years go??!!?

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.