Friday, December 12, 2008

Pictures….Not!

A fellow Peds resident took his dream job on the North Shore of Oahu. In our former lives, we enjoyed windsurfing together the sounds of the East Coast. He dreamed of bigger waves, and he found them. He sends me pictures from time to time of his beautiful and expanding family. His last set was taken along the shoreline of Hawaii. I want pictures like that, I thought. Serene. Idyllic. Outdoors.

Then I saw KC’s pictures of her family. Sweet pictures to be regarded for years to come. Happy baby pictures. Sibling enchantment (however brief). Glowing parents. I want pictures like that!

So I’m on a quest for some visual memento of my seven and eleven year olds. How else can I freeze them in time? I want to capture Harry’s tossed salad blond hair, and Will’s prepubertal glow. Not only would pictures satisfy my mommy-lust for holding back the sands of time, I could use them as Christmas gifts for family and Husband.

One of my office staff showed me her Christmas pictures. They were urban and modern, and I loved them. Her website showed pictures of playful kids in old chairs outside. This photographer, like KC’s, had the gift of not only catching the image of the subjects but their spirit as well. Sign me up!

So we were all set Tuesday afternoon to meet this photographer after school. The rendezvous point was a field of wheat on the other side of town. Prior to this meeting, I had run all over town looking for the right wardrobe. I had settled on solid color sweaters and t-shirts, and had tried hard to pick items that the boys would wear anyways.

Will, Harry, and I piled into the car for the 20 minute drive to this field – my rough directions in hand. We dodged traffic lights. The boys muttered about interrupted play time, but understood that surprising Daddy was part of the adventure. I chatted them up about how much fun this would be – trying hard to keep the atmosphere light. We found the field on the side of a road, and pulled over to park and wait. We were a couple minutes late. No problem – we had 30 minutes of daylight left.

My first clue to impending failure should have been that the wheat was actually weeds – a disaster for my allergic seven year old. The second clue was waiting for 20 minutes with two antsy boys in the car. I’m not sure I would have wanted the pictures of that afternoon. Surly Will. Pouting Henry. To be honest, I was pouting like a toddler, too. The photographer left us in the field. No show. Nadda. Disappointment is an understatement because then I had to explain to Husband why the boys were so moody when we returned home. Surprise revealed. Ta dah!

Maybe a trip to Hawaii for pictures is not such a bad idea after all. Hmm….

4 comments:

  1. "Good" pictures of my kids together is in my 5 year plan, and of all for of us, I'm hoping for sometime in the next 10 years. That way when it happens earlier, I'll be pleasantly surprised instead of disappointed every time they are camera shy are flat out averse! Oh, and Hawaii sounds like a perfect plan...

    ReplyDelete
  2. USE THE SHOTGUN METHOD!!!

    Now that we have digital cameras, it's cheap. Just take lots and lots and lots of pictures of your family doing the things they do. They won't be formal, but at least 1/100 are bound to turn out to be good (and that's true for my extremely-unphotogenic-progenitors family)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best present my hubbie got me - digital camera - I could take hundreds of pics - and manage to get a few good ones. Time consuming though to go through them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm...sorry the session was a bust, but I think you should try again. Having gorgeous pictures is worth it! Pictures you'll want to frame and remember forever. Every time we've done it, we've been thrilled with the pictures. Ones that only the rare amateur can capture in a digital camera picture-taking spree.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.