Monday, December 22, 2008

Getting into the spirit, part 2

So much for my plans to volunteer in a homeless shelter this year. No one answered my voice mail messages. I don't blame them. I'm sure they are flooded with this once-yearly outpouring of help, despite really needing the help during other times of the year. It probably can get a bit annoying and old.Italic
But, reading the comments to my post where people shared the ways they give and show their children to give during the holidays was inspiring. I loved how Nurse Heidi holds a charity drive in her garage, how Laura and her mother bought gifts for kids on an Angel tree every year growing up, how Tempeh's extended family spreads kindness with every gift they exchange.

Saturday, we took my daughter to the mall (note: madhouse, avoid if possible) for the sole purpose of picking out a gift for a girl who wouldn't otherwise be getting toys this year. I loved watching her critically evaluating the toy aisles looking for a good gift. I have this! She would like this! She finally decided on a Little Mermaid doll, since Ariel is her favorite character. Note, she does not have one herself.

We went to the fire station yesterday and she dropped off the doll in the big box in the lobby.

As I walked back to the car, holding my daughter's hand, I felt such a connection to her. Such a tenderness. Such rich love. It was such a small act, this donating of a doll, but it felt like much more. It was, indeed, a beginning. A seed, I hope.

***

Happy Holidays, Mothers in Medicine.

3 comments:

  1. My sister just emailed me to let me know that I was tagged in this post. Gosh, I feel famous :). She's a 4th year med student herself, and maybe we can scare her out of lurkdom now.

    I'm glad it was a good experience for you. I get a huge rush out of doing something kind and charitable, and I love that my kids are starting to figure out that it is indeed more blessed to give than receive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's beautiful. I'd like to follow your example next year.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.