Monday, December 22, 2014

MiM Mail: Med school with young children

My name is Megan. I have 2 children. My son is 2 1/2 and my daughter is 7 weeks old. I am only 20 years old.

When I was younger my dream was to become a physician, specifically an OBGYN. When I had my son at the mere age of 17, I figured that dream was over. I decided to settle on nursing with the hopes of becoming an L&D nurse. I started going to school; while taking pre-requisites for the nursing program, became a CNA. I started working as a CNA at a hospital and had my daughter when I was 19. Having a second child while still being a teenager didn't stop me from going to school. However, working in the hospital made me realize: I DO NOT want to become a nurse. Most of the nurses complained about their jobs, seemed bored, and I did not want that to happen to me. I want a fulfilling career that makes me reach my full potential in life. I didn't want to just settle.

So I decided to go back to what I really want to do in life: become a physician. I am really determined, and very excited, but it seems like everyone around me can't stop telling me how hard it's going to be.

I guess I'm writing this to ask for support and advice from mothers who went to med school with young children. My kids will be 5 and 3 by the time I start med school. Any support and advice is appreciated. And another question, did anyone with young children have anymore kids later on in life? I'm not sure if I'm okay with being done at 2.

Thanks in advance.

3 comments:

  1. Although I personally haven't done it, I know many people who have made it through medical school with young children, as well as many people who had kids before med school and then had a second set of children 5-10 years later in residency/fellowship.

    But, this is really a one day-at-a-time kind of thing. Start with figuring out how to get your bachelors with two young kids -- do you have the financial support to go back to school full-time? If not, what local colleges will let you go part time? When will you get the time to study -- after bed? Or can you get childcare to cover studying time? Figuring this out is not just necessary for eventual medical school, but it will also help you learn survival techniques for med school and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Echoing what was said above: It can (and has) been done, it's mostly a matter of finding childcare that you can afford that provides sufficient coverage for you to go to class and study. If you're not getting it for "free" from a relative or spouse, it can be really expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am currently in undergrad, but will hopefully be starting med school next year. I can't speak to that side of it with kids, but I can say I have managed to do very well during my undergrad just by studying only after bedtime. There were some nights - when the littles were sick, for instance - where I couldn't study, and I'd have to make up for it, but I have managed to do just fine with my focused, regular studying. I had no help at home the first year I was in school because my husband worked on the other side of the country. It is do-able, at least the undergrad part! I can't speak to how med school will be yet. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.