Monday, December 14, 2009

Pot of Gold

When I joined this community, I was thrilled and nervous, all at once. I worried about my voice, and how it would come across. I have been blogging for a year, and have a small following, consisting of mostly family and friends. I don't advertise. I just write as a stress reliever. Hopefully a positive coping mechanism. We all need those, to balance out the negative ones.

Reading "A Day in the Life" topic week has blown my mind. There are people like me out there. In my reading, I can tell that some have it together more than me. And some are struggling worse. But the quilt of voices is amazingly beautiful. Reading this week has been like soaring through a rainbow. I have enormous empathy for all these women who are facing the same issues that I am. Their voices are like teachers for the issues I have yet to encounter, and memories of those that I have already hurdled.

I was at a Christmas Party tonight, full of lawyers. A lot of old friends. As I spoke to the women, I was able to draw on the lessons I learned this week and dole out empathy and compassion. One post particularly struck a chord, and I have been telling people about it all week. I cried for her, one morning, over my coffee. We all try so hard to live up to the standards we think we should. Our boundaries get breached. We suffer the most.

But out of suffering, comes reward. If we are willing to work on it. I feel more powerful now than I have in a long time. I know I still have a lot of anger and frustration to express, a lot of issues to work on, but I am in the driver's seat. Everything will be OK, no matter what happens. I'm gonna find my pot of gold. Balance in life, time for my kids, time for creativity, and time for me. Possibility is out there. It can happen.


1 comment:

  1. I'm 45, I'm a student, not a professional, although that's in my goals. there are times, looking around at all the 20 somethings in school that I feel very much an alien ...and alone.

    This posting of so many various mom's ...working to make a better life for their families and themselves as well as those they have a heart for ...has made me realize how little I am alone.

    It has been quite wonderful to read.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.