Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Is it time for me to break up with nights?

I am post-call, yet again. Which is short-hand for the mild-to-moderately disabling condition my family knows too well at this point -- foggy-brained, labile, cotton-mouthed, impatient, irritable, overwhelmed by the smallest unexpected twist in the plan. I have difficulty making decisions, even tiny ones. I eat way too much, my body confused by the question of whether it needs sleep or food. Instead of answering an important email or using this precious time while my child is at school to sleep, I watch a movie I have watched 40 times before and scroll mindlessly through the perpetually unfulfilled promise of the internet, catching myself a hundred times as I almost nod off and drop my phone onto my own face. I feel like a pint of ice cream with only a film of sticky soup remaining at the bottom: not good for much. My body aches. My mind, if such a thing is possible, aches. My view into the future is suddenly bleak, and even though I know that all these sensations and thoughts and feelings will resolve after a good night's sleep, I have to live through them all day and they are not pleasant.

I love nights in the hospital. A quiet purpose takes over -- the formality of the day softens and people are focused on what is most important. I am united with my patients' families in their sleepless vigil. I have had some of my most profound moments of intimacy with my patients and with the practice of medicine between the hours of 7pm and 7am. People are born and die at all times of the day, but at night there is an aura of primordial magic to it, both light and dark -- the baby's first cry as my ears are still ringing from being woken up by the delivery pager, the mothers sharp sobs as she holds her sick child for the last time. The night feels like life's secret workshop and despite all the sorrows I have witnessed there, I have loved my time in its shadowed chamber of turning gears.

But lately, I feel like the nights are killing me. It takes me longer to recover. My fatigue and disorientation stretch into my post-post-call days. I can never establish any kind of routine. My schedule is never the same twice and the nights fall on different days and in different configurations and it feels like I am inventing my life from scratch every single week. On paper, it doesn't look so bad: I "only" work overnight about 3-4 times per month and 1-2 of these are 24 hour shifts. But the weeks when I don't work a single night feel so much better, like I am finally climbing out of the canyon. I eat better. I exercise regularly. My family is able to settle into a consistent routine of time together in the evenings. I get to play the piano and talk to friends and read books and taste my food. I feel like myself again. And then another night looms and I slip back into survival mode -- the life of just trying to get through to the other side in one piece.

In order to give up nights, I would have to give up the ICU part of my job which would feel like a huge loss. The muscle of acute care that is strung taught and strong across my frame would atrophy. I would miss the real-time critical thinking through the most pressing problems of physiology. I would miss the sense of internal strength that comes from running towards instead of away from disaster. I would miss my colleagues so much. And most of all I would miss the patients so much. I know there would be other patients and other satisfactions, but I have stroked so many little heads amidst the wires and tubes and lines and a part of my heart will always be hovering over an isolette, cheering a tiny life into the future.

Is it even appropriate to step away, I wonder? I harbor some machismo about the self-sacrifice of nights and call and when I imagine giving it up my inner voice says things you might expect a drill sergeant to say to a new recruit. In other words, not nice things. I compare myself to people who have accomplished incredible things and who seem to sleep much less than I need to -- surgeons, authors, CEOs, innovators, politicians, my colleagues who have even more children and even more responsibility. And I think to myself: Was I put on this earth to sleep? Why, I wonder, do I need rest and consistency and slow mornings and the Goldberg Variations over a hot cup of tea and the colors the afternoon sun makes in the trees to feel like myself when others can be animated solely by the imperative of their work? What, I wonder too many times a day, is wrong with me? Or perhaps more kindly framed: What right do I have to prioritize my own needs over the potential to serve the needs of others? And then other questions, usually held in shadow, emerge: Does the poet part of me deserve the same airtime as the doctor part of me? What if I love being more than doing?

As you can see, the question of nights has become about more than than the question of nights, which makes it all the more difficult to decide on the right course of action. For the moment, I have shifted my responsibilities for the coming academic year and will be doing less time in the ICU and by extension fewer nights. I will see how that feels. Likely, no choice will ever feel 100% right, but I hope that a bit more sleep will allow me to attend more closely to my own intuition, that a little piece of that primordial magic will glow in my own life and light the way.

12 comments:

  1. I was so excited when I realized in the first paragraph it was you that I spilled some of my soup and read this way too fast - like finding water in the desert - then laughed and slowed down and read it again. So good to hear from you!

    I have found that whenever I have made a decision for more time for myself and my family- at the sacrifice of as you say machismo or money (in my case, maybe not yours) or being there not so much for patients but we pathologists are at the beck and call of surgeons and interventional radiologists and oncologists who need our help and that is very rewarding and stimulating - I have NEVER regretted it. When your daughter is big enough to go out in the world you can always step up your ICU if it calls to you again. I think you are making the right decision - I hope you find more time for your poet self to share with the world (and me. I'm selfish.). Good luck scaling back m:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw -- thanks for the kind words, Gizabeth! You really made my day! Writing more would be one of many potential benefits. I know cognitively that what you are saying is true -- that I wouldn't regret it -- but my heart is still unsure. Thanks for your support -- it's good to have people in your corner on this complicated journey!

      Delete
  2. I hear you- I am an anesthesiologist, generally take three 24-hour calls/month- it can be a brutal schedule! Even though the days that I am on call change constantly, I have found it helpful to have a consistent pre-call and post-call routine. Pre-call, go to bed on time or early and try to work in some exercise during the afternoon/evening if possible. Post-call, I usually get home and have about 45 min before the kids need to leave for school- I eat breakfast with them, help them get their school things together, then head to the shower. Then I sleep for 3-4 hours, wake up for lunch. I refuse to cook on post-call days (way too foggy of a brain to do even simple tasks!), so it's either left overs, carry out, or something from the freezer that requires putting it in the oven only for dinner. Finally, early bed time for me. It is frustrating, because it can feel like I've lost 2 days of my life in the process, but it's the best I can do to maintain my sanity! That being said, if it was ever an option to give up overnight call in my job, I would take it in an instant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips -- I like the idea of making a routine out of it. I always sneak in errands or meetings postcall and I think that compounds my sense that my own wellbeing is so low priority. I'm going to try this for my next call.

      Delete
  3. I am an anesthesiologist and took a job without call straight out of residency. Yes, I have probably lost some of that skill for dealing with acute emergencies, which still arrive during the day at my academic hospital but much less so.

    I was gung ho on the path to echocardiography fellowship and academic research when I had a major health scare. It made me question everything that was supposedly inportant to me, and I decided to really simplify what I wanted for a work role.

    I made the decision knowing that my body wouldn't tolerate the stress of overnight call very well, and despite the lower pay potential and excitement potential I have never looked back. Personally, I feel that my health and sanity are more important, and I still find meaning and challenge in my current work configuration. It sounds like you would too, so If I were you I'd phase down your call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your story resonates with me. I feel like I am the "before" picture of someone headed for a health scare and I want to intervene before it is too late. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

      Delete
  4. One of my mentors told me, "work as little as you can possibly afford." I haven't taken that advice myself, but I still think it has merit. That said, I totally get why you don't want to stop working nights. I love nights too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely has merit but contravenes all that we have been taught and the culture of medicine!

      Delete
  5. As a senior resident at the moment I cannot wait for a life with no or minimal call. I just experienced my first busy call while pregnant. Came in to help with a thumb replant (because why not drunkenly do home improvement on a Tuesday night and cut your thumb off?) and barely got 4 hours of sleep. I had a long operative day ahead with a staff that I cannot stand (and who has reacted very negatively to my pregnancy). I am sitting here Thursday night not at all recovered from the sleep deprivation. My junior resident is gone which means earlier mornings and later nights. I cannot wait until nights are a distant memory!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my American stators told me, "work as very little as you'll be able to probably afford." I have not taken that recommendation myself, however, I still assume it's advantage. That said, I wholly get why you do not wish to prevent operating nights. I really like nights too. Known as Prices Brio

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why are your nights always different? Is there any way that you can have a more regular schedule that way you can plan your life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mommabee! Unfortunately the way our scheduling system works, the schedule is always variable. But I'm finding a way to temper that effect. I hope you are doing well!

      Delete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.