Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Greetings from TXgal

Howdy wonderful MIM community!

I am excited to have joined MIM as a regular contributor this year! I’m TXgal, a name fitting not only because I am from the great state of Texas, but also because I have been trying to escape it for years. One thing or another has kept me here: being close to family, landing an awesome job after graduation, the low cost of living, having babies, and now it’s the ridiculously low medical school tuition when compared to other states. Jealous yet? You don’t have to be, it is freaking hot. But I am starting to accept that this is home, and even loving it!

I am 29, and in 6 months I will be 30. This never bothered me until last month when I looked in the mirror and I saw wrinkles. I won't go into how much grey hair I have. I always thought I would age with grace and acceptance, but right now I am longing to be 25, rocking my pre-baby body. I am also starting medical school in 2 months, which I imagine will only accelerate the aging process. (Especially frown lines). Both of these things have got me in hammer mode. Last 2 months of freedom before starting the rigorous path of medicine, and last two months of freedom in my 20's. I have got to get the best body of my life, meditate, read, write, start my blog, finish projects around the house, learn Spanish, do all the hobbies I won't be able to do once school starts, stop wasting time on Facebook, teach my kids to swim, potty train etc. etc. etc.

But I am also beyond excited to start medical school. I am a non-traditional student with a background in nursing. I landed my dream job right out of nursing school at a Level I trauma ER. The first day of my new job the charge nurse gave me some advice. I didn't listen to her. She said don't date ANYONE here. Not the doctors, not the cops, not the paramedics, or firemen. Especially not the doctors. Perhaps I should have listened. But I fell for a resident, and after a year of dating I got pregnant with my son. Thanks Plan B. What a little darling he is. Into my life he came, and out went all my plans. Like many other premed students, I am a control freak. I like order. I like plans. No, I NEED plans to function. I was going to do a year of travel nursing, and spend a year abroad working for MSF, and then go to medical school, and somewhere far down the road, far, far, FAR down the road I would start a family. I quit my job as a nurse and stayed home with my son while completing my pre-med courses. This was a difficult time for me. It was lonely, and isolating. The entire time my head was spinning with thoughts like "how will I be a good doctor AND a good mom?" "How will I go to med school with a baby?" "When should I go? When he is 2 or 10?" "How will I ever work for MSF?" "Maybe I could just be a stay-at-home mom, or a nurse, or a teacher, or a wildlife photographer, or a stripper." The thoughts literally and metaphorically made me dizzy. (This is when I discovered this LIFE SAVING blog)

I have learned a lot since then. I learned that I am not a stay-at-home mom. I learned to let go of control over my kids. That they are OK, and even thrive at their daycare. They are OK with a sitter, and they are OK at grandma’s. They LOVE grandma. I learned to find balance in school/family life. Yes the load in premed isn't anything like med school, but I learned some tricks. Like don't even attempt to study around the kids unless you want scribbles all over your books. And, don't expect to take a 7 hour timed practice MCAT test and score well with a newborn in lap, so GET A SITTER! Also-DON'T. LAY. DOWN. You WILL fall asleep. Oh, 15 months after my son was born, my daughter came along. Another unplanned little darling.

I am also grateful. I originally got accepted into a program 800 miles away. BD (baby daddy) would have had to stay in our current city for work, and I would be leaving two sets of wonderful grandparents. 2 weeks before our moving van was scheduled to whisk me away with 2 toddlers to start med school alone in a new city, I got an acceptance to a school close to home at an institution known for its (relatively) laid back atmosphere, and relaxed schedule. I am so grateful for this. I am grateful I have so much support from BD, my parents, and BD's family. Grateful to my 26 year old self who continued to complete premed classes despite being so uncertain, who started studying for the MCAT with a 2 weeks old (and eventually got a sitter). Grateful for my kids' teachers, and babysitters that fill their day with joy.

So now as I move closer to med school, I am no longer dizzy with thoughts of uncertainty. I know it'll be crazy, and stressful, and hard. But I know I cannot see myself doing anything else. (Even if sometimes I wish I could). I know at times I will miss my kids, but they are surrounded by friends and family that love and care for them as much as I do. And the obsessing over the wrinkles? I know it’s a phase. They are beautiful just like my grey hairs. Who would really want to be 20 again anyway?

-TXgal


The Shorter version:

TXgal is an about to be 30 year old, nontraditional, incoming MS1 with two toddlers (born 2014 and 2015) and a nontraditional life living with her supportive BD (baby daddy). She has spent the past three years pregnant, or breastfeeding while completing her pre-med classes, and MCAT. After years of uncertainty, she is happy to start medical school knowing there is nothing else she can see herself doing, (well maybe a photographer for NatGeo, but that’ll come later) She is forever newly discovering how she identifies as a mom, individual, almost 30 year old, and soon to be medical student, and looks forward to blogging about the joys, struggle, stress, and victories in finding this balance. She also has a gazillion hobbies, and likes that include: gardening, yoga, reading, coffee, rock climbing, running, traveling, hiking, visiting National Parks, photography, healthy eating, Latin dancing, planning her life, re-planning her life after plans fail, family vacations, studying, and watching NatGeo with toddlers, cheering for the prey when they get away.

14 comments:

  1. Welcome neighbor! I would argue that Arkansas is as hot as TX, or hotter, but wouldn't want to start any feuds. My kids were born in residency - 2003 and 2005 - about when I was the same age as you are. Best of luck. The partner we just hired a year ago has a path similar to yours. She's amazing.

    Hold on to those outside interests - they will sustain you during dark hours. I'm currently researching NatGeo vacays for next summer - got my eye on the Galapagos. Headed to Alaska next week with Backroads. Echo - yoga, coffee, hiking - wow to gardening and rock climbing.

    From one control freak to another - embrace the stripper lol. And your kids are FINE in daycare. You are going to be an amazing role model to them. Best of luck and looking forward to more posts.

    I even cheer on the cockroaches in my household. Hurry, I stamp, run back into the bowels of the house before I feel compelled to grab a shoe. Here's to cheering for prey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas sure does have some nice people. Every time I drive through there, people are kind and offer to help when my hands are full, and they are always full. NatGeo cruise to Antartica is on my bucket list. I just googled Backroads, look AMAZING! I also look at REI Adventures webpage q 3x per week, and just signed up for a 4 day backpacking trip with them. Fingers crossed I get in shape by then. Galapagos is also on my list, are you going with your kids? It will be so much fun!

      And thanks for the advice! One of my biggest fears is not having time for anything else besides school and toddlers. Maybe I will put a pole in my bedroom to make it easier. Ha! Y'all and other mama MD's have defiantly been a role model to me over the years.

      Delete
    2. My cousin has been to 23 countries she loves Backroads - this will be my first time to try it out. Yes these vacays all with kids, despite some protestation from the older one who wants to go back to Costa Rica (where we went last summer). I'm letting her plan a July trip as consolation - we may end up in Texas going to a concert she has her eye on.

      It will be hard, that's for sure. But keep that good attitude, try not to sweat little stuff, and you will do just fine.

      Delete
    3. Costa Rica for the win! I'm going back next year, and hoping to take the kiddos. Where did you go with them?

      Delete
    4. Tulemar - it was amazing - very close to Manuel Antonio National Park - we did day and night tours.

      Delete
  2. Welcome, welcome, welcome!!! Can't wait to read all about your juggling. Med school - phew, glad I'm done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Can't wait to say "phew, glad I'm done" as well!

      Delete
  3. Welcome, TXgal! I'm looking forward to reading more about your story. I spent one summer in Texas when my husband was stationed there and I just about melted. Way too much for this Pacific Northwest gal. I love the list of things you're going to get done in your last two months of freedom. I had a similar list for my maternity leaves. So glad you're here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow the PNW is my dreamland! Love it up there! I read you work in Global Health, I would love to hear more about that. I am hoping to be able to do the same, even with the kiddos.

      Delete
    2. I totally believe it's doable with kids, but I think you have to find the right timeframe, situation and place for your work and family. I'm such a planner, but I'm trying not to think about it too much until my kids are all out of diapers! And it is pretty dreamy up here, at least when summer eventually hits.

      Delete
  4. Loved so many things about your post! Can't wait to hear more! Having had my first 23 weeks before med school and my 2nd between ms2 and ms3 the only advice i can give is to welcome the village around you. Dont be afraid to ask family or friends for help, you will be surprised how many people recognize how inspiring you are and want to be there for you. Like you said, your kids will be Awesome. Grandmas for the win! Also, depending on your med school, you may get a summer between ms1 and ms where you can travel or do research or global health work abroad. Hard with kids, but at a young age, but if you feel comfortable and have the opportunity to have family babysit, they won't even remember you ever left for a week or 2.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved so many things about your post! Can't wait to hear more! Having had my first 23 weeks before med school and my 2nd between ms2 and ms3 the only advice i can give is to welcome the village around you. Dont be afraid to ask family or friends for help, you will be surprised how many people recognize how inspiring you are and want to be there for you. Like you said, your kids will be Awesome. Grandmas for the win! Also, depending on your med school, you may get a summer between ms1 and ms where you can travel or do research or global health work abroad. Hard with kids, but at a young age, but if you feel comfortable and have the opportunity to have family babysit, they won't even remember you ever left for a week or 2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello there! I am from the PNW but currently entering my third year of medical school in TX. Damn it is hot. Plus cockroaches. But I'm happy to be following my dream and my sister lives here. I don't know the reputations of all the schools but I think mine is thought of as more relaxed (? IDK), I wonder if we will be in the same place. I just wanted to say as one 29yo med student to another, you can do it! I would say don't expect to always feel balanced. Some weeks/months I have little time with my kids and some weeks/months I have much MORE time with them than I would in a normal job. In fact, I just had a baby in march and I go back to July. I've had all this time home, during a natural break in our curriculum. While difficult, I have been really happy down this path so far and I hope you enjoy it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome! My favorite part of your post was "DON'T LAY DOWN". Haha! Such a truth! I have slept through more windows of potential productivity than I can count snuggled next to my little one. I will offer some unsolicited advice for free -- start think about the financial aspects of your career decisions early. They should have a financial planning class on the first day of medical school! It's the one thing I wish I had started much earlier. Good luck as you begin your journey!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.