Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Marching with my middle schooler

Wasn't going to make her go, but was thinking it might be the experience of a lifetime.  I wasn't sure how safe it would be, but I decided I'd ask her to think about whether she wanted to go along with me and a few of my out-of-town friends who would be coming to DC for the Woman's March on Washington.  My middle school daughter thought about it for less time than it takes to eat a spoonful of mac and cheese and said, "YES, I'm definitely coming!"

So we reviewed over the next few days a few key concepts.  
  • We learned some words.  Words for body parts.  Words of pride, and words of power.
  • We learned in one night to knit, as we readied ourselves to join in the pink parade, and we discussed the rationale for the name and shape of the hats.
  • We reviewed what choice over one's body means.
  • We discussed the notorious RBG.
  • We packed and shared assorted protein bars and water.
  • We went to stand among many of all shapes, colors, sizes to "march" and to rally (without peeing) for about 8 hours.
  • We read the cleverest signs!  And saw lots of versions of the uterus.  Having already reached the Mother in Medicine with a middle schooler milestone of syncing up our menstrual cycles (has happened once thus far in our household) and having made it through all matters of pubertal hormones thus far, we joined so many many many other women and supportive men in solidarity. 

Oh, and later that night, she said, her exact words, "It was the experience of a lifetime." 

Indeed, I hope she (and all) have a lifetime of equality and choice and freedom and diversity and democracy.

*though we eventually got separated, was wonderful to take an "MiM Metro" to the March with Gizabeth and KC!

8 comments:

  1. That is so great! I was with you all in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved hanging out with you all, if only for the beginning. I belatedly realized that was your middle schooler. Had met your gorgeous rocker son the first time I went to DC a couple of years ago at the museum - but not her. She's lucky to have you as her mother. I've got a great pic of you on the Metro - promise not to out you here but I'll send to KC to pass along to you. Was great to see you again T and March together:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks!
      Oh, and let me know if/when you run for office!
      (Got the pic today - I was intently interested in some important discussion!)

      Delete
    2. LOL. No running for office - but I'll shower those I support with money from behind the scenes. I loved that pic - you look like a poster of an activist.

      Delete
    3. LOL. No running for office - but I'll shower those I support with money from behind the scenes. I loved that pic - you look like a poster of an activist.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful that you did that with her! I love how a terrible person is causing the rest of us to unite!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.