Thursday, June 26, 2014

Doctor's Lounge

I have been working at my hospital for almost seven years. That's a long time.

I walked into the lounge at about 9 something a.m. this morning to get hot water for a cup of black tea.

There were three women sitting at a table by the front door. I introduced myself to one of them two weeks ago - she is a newish PM&R doc. Works mainly at the rehab tower. The other two I didn't know. They looked young and hip - I imagined they were residents. I looked over at another table and saw a woman sitting with a man. Two women were standing at the food station getting some of what was left of breakfast. That's seven women, counting me, and one man in the lounge. Unprecedented.

I felt like climbing onto a table and dancing and singing at the top of my lungs. I didn't. That would have looked crazy. Instead I walked over to the table with the one doctor I knew in the room and said, "I have been here seven years, and I have never been in the presence of this much estrogen in the doctor's lounge."

It is usually an all Caucasian male crowd, with a few exceptions to the former descriptor. Rarely women. I could sit down and chat, but why? To listen to random sports talk I had nothing to contribute to? I usually just get my coffee and maybe a hard boiled egg if I forget my bean burger for lunch while eavesdropping. I leave quickly.

I wandered over to the coffee area to make tea, still resisting the urge to sing and dance something crazy and free and female-oriented. Alicia Keyes was running through my brain. "This Girl is on Fire"

After I made my tea, I walked back over to the table by the door. The PM&R doc said, "I was just telling them who you were." I introduced myself to the other docs by my first name. "I'm Gizabeth." They had super cool first names that complemented their appearances, which were not all Caucasian (I am Caucasian, but of the dark-skinned variety, so I'm not being prejudiced against that. But finally University melting pot in the doctor's lounge!). I learned that they were both new PM&R docs at my hospital. They trained all over the country. I thought of my friend Fizzy, and resisted the urge to say, "So what exactly does a PM&R doc do?" Because I knew. Thanks Fizzy. But I still don't entirely understand. No offense. My job is weird too.

After we chatted and I learned a little about them and they learned a little about me I really had to go. As I was leaving I said, "Looking forward to seeing you around here more often. There has been a dearth of estrogen around here for years. I think we need to create a balance. So that we can initiate our eventual takeover." We all laughed. Kidding. Sort of.




5 comments:

  1. Love your honesty and so much about this post. Thanks for taking the time to share this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elle.The effort is worth this amazing audience. I'm lucky to be here.

      Delete
  2. Awesome! Jealous Rock Star:). My lounge returned to it's former milieu for the rest of the week but I've got hope. Headed to a small town hospital next week ain't gonna happen then oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fully support dancing and singing the next time it happens! I had a call night with al women and 3 mom surgeons! I'm pretty sure I did some shouting for joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Cutter! I have wonderful female partners from all different cultural backgrounds - moms and not moms - but the overall hospital is still largely Caucasian male. I'm dating one of those - again not prejudiced, but variety is the spice of life.

      I'll try to work my way up to the singing and dancing on doctor's lounge tables. I don't know how long that will take. Unfortunately wine and work do not mix:)

      Delete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.