Monday, May 12, 2014

Hot (Scheduling) Mess

There has been a lot written lately about work-life balance. In a session with my Therapist last week, she laughed and said “you’re a Resident, for this last year of residency, I really just want you to survive!” We spent the remainder of our session coming up with ways that I can pay people to do things I don’t have the time to do. And she made me promise to work harder to eat better, sleep more, and exercise more; my turn to laugh. Next week, our family will be trying out a week of made-from-scratch meals from a local organic market while I finish a busy week of nights. And we are looking for a second cleaning person after the first one proved to be a bad fit with our family.

Scheduling time away from work for things like research, board exams, and doctors appointments is an exceedingly stressful aspect of my life. Because we get our schedules pretty late, I try my best to email the our Scheduling Attending and Chiefs at least several months before I think I’ll need time off. Nevertheless, I sometimes get my schedule and there are conflicts and then I have to forward back my original email requesting time off and the hot-scheduling-mess begins.

Last year, when I took my Step 3, I emailed the Scheduling Attending and waited so long for a response that the dates kept filling up. I had to extend my eligibility period and finally had to use research time to take the test. I have heard countless stories from other Residents recounting their shared experiences (many have to use vacation time) and how stressful it is to try to do things you have to do.

This year, my son will be spending my last Intensive Care Unit month with his grandparents while my husband is away doing research. He will spend the first 3 weeks with my parents, but once their vacation time is used up, he’ll spend an additional week with my in-laws. At the suggestion of my husband, I emailed the scheduling Attending and requested off a single day and offered to make it up during my vacation.

I feel guilty that we need our parents to watch him. I feel guilty that I asked for a schedule change. However, it would have been a very stressful and traumatizing experience for all of us if I tried to travel, get Zo acclimated, and get myself ready for life without my family for a whole month in 2 days. And then to make me feel even worse, I get an email saying that the Scheduling Attending talked to my Residency Director and my Clinic Attending and she would like to know if I really need that extra day off. They understand my unique situation but they want to double-check before they reschedule me.

As I began to stifle my tears, my husband came over to rub my back. I explained my distress and he reiterated that even though it’s hard, I have to ask for what I need. He reminded me to not feel bad and that “it’s the culture” of medicine that makes it difficult for folks to realize that what we are asking for is not unheard of.

After taking a break, I responded that yes I do need the day, that I would personally call the 2 patients I have scheduled, and that I again would be more than willing to make it up using a vacation day.

Thus ends this installment of my hot-scheduling-mess until the response email. Dunnn dunnn dunnnnnnnnnnn.

4 comments:

  1. We have been scrambling this week for a partner that is in crisis and needs to attend a funeral out of state. The hot scheduling mess continues. But it's easier out of residency, I think. More control and peace of mind, somehow.

    Trying to schedule my kids to get to the dentist and orthodontist stresses me to no end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scheduling things stresses me out to. My strategy has been to a) hire huge amounts of childcare (we have no family help, you are a lucky duck IMO), and b) hope the huge amounts of childcare don't flake. Also have been trying to get my husband to be better about this, but this is a challenge since his job is demanding as well. Good luck! This too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two patients? This falls in to Clinic Attending being a jerk. C' Mon, they can't cover TWO patients for you? !?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Needless to say it all worked out. The two patients were scheduled without any major breaks in the space-time continuum and I made up the day later. Scheduling as a third year has gotten much easier and folks are super flexible with us scheduling interviews as we are on our way out the door . . . .

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.