Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Brain Candy


I met Fizzy here years ago, and long ago posted one of her first cartoons on my blog when she spun off this blog to create her own space at The Cartoon Guide to Becoming a Doctor.


I was amazed by this cartoon. It spoke to me about my experience as a resident/mom in such a good way. She made light of the angst and agony that I had recently been through, and made me laugh about it. I was already hooked to her writing here on MiM, but that cartoon drew me in to her blog and made me an avid follower to this day.

She's funny. She's droll. But most of all, she's unrelenting. I have periods in my blogging where I lag and shut down. She never stops. She's like the Energizer bunny of blogging, and her constant wit and presence amaze me. Not just me - she has built up an enormous following of readers that also recognize her talent. I like to secretly pat myself on the back for being one of her first readers. It doesn't surprise me in the least that she has come this far.

I bought her first book (see above) and it sat on my coffee table until I caught my daughter reading it and asking me questions I wasn't ready to explain. Now it's tucked away in the reading cabinet for easy access. And I had the privilege to beta read her first novel - The Devil Wears Scrubs. Do you read brain candy? I do. I don't watch brain candy on TV, but I read it religiously during stressful times in my life. Chic lit - it takes the edge off. The Devil Wears Scrubs is the best kind of chic lit. It draws you back into that horribly abusive space in time of training when you have no control and you are at the mercy of warped personalities. It allows you as a reader, like the viewer of her cartoons, to make lemonade out of lemons. Her razor sharp wit and her sarcasm brings a new element to the genre. She's a pioneer.

If you haven't read her book, you're missing out big time. I hear there's more coming down the pipes. I remember standing in line for hours waiting to see Guns N' Roses at the Memphis Pyramid (I had to pee really bad - good training for OR cases). I remember camping out all night in front of BeenAround Records to get my college boyfriend Metallica tickets (his band not mine). I remember pre-ordering the next Harry Potter book during residency and counting the days until it was released. Here I am again at 40 dying to read Fizzy's next book. I hope there's lots more to come. I can't wait.


*This post was based off of one I wrote last week on my blog.

4 comments:

  1. I read The Devil Wears Scrubs last year during spring break of my junior year of undergrad. I remember telling my husband it might not have been the best idea since I still had those types of experiences ahead of me, and it made me a little nervous. But I'm so glad I read it, I have the same inner dialogues that run through my head in sticky situations. It was hilarious, and I actually do still look forward to the whole process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes please look forward to it. As many warped personalities as you encounter, there are also amazing wonderful ones to balance it out. And in the end you hopefully choose the light side instead of the dark for your own path. I think the same could be said about any road to higher learning or training for a profession. Queue "Facts of Life" theme song (I'm dating myself).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You take the good you take the bad... when the world never seems to be living up to your dreams... suddenly you're finding out the facts of life are all about you.

      Got to check out Dr F McF's books.

      Delete
    2. Look how far George Clooney has come:)

      Delete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.