Thursday, March 13, 2014

Sick Day

The other night, my daughter Cecelia woke me up at 1 a.m.  The day after her 11th birthday. "I'm sick."

She took me into her bathroom. It looked like an emesis crime scene.  Buckets of puke on the toilet lid, leaking into every crook and cranny, spilling over onto the tile. Spattered walls, spattered glass shower barrier. Spots on the ceiling. I wondered briefly if I could leave it for my house cleaner the next day, and laughed at myself.  After settling her into my bed with water and Pepto pills, which she soon tossed elegantly this time into my toilet, I rolled up my sleeves and cleaned. An hour and two paper towel rolls and a carton of bleach wipes later, it was passable.

The next morning I asked her, "Have you ever heard the phrase 'Tossing your cookies?'"

"No Mom, But I can guess what it means."

She had quite a fill on her birthday - cookie cake at lunch and Baskin Robbins Grasshopper Pie after dinner. It had only a vague resemblance of its original splendor as I was mopping it up, pinching my nose against the odor.

I have been reading Generally Medicine's sad and sorry posts about sick children, congratulating myself about my children's overall good health. I must have jinxed myself. Jack threw up all last weekend. He is being treated for Strep, and has just regained his appetite after two weeks.

The upside - Cecelia came to work with me today. Luckily I found a comfy couch for her to rest on day one after the emesis escapade; my parents were in town and willing to help. I did not have the heart to send her to school when my mom went out of town today - she was puke and fever free but still nauseated and only up to clear liquids. So she came to work with me - an embarrassing first. It was a blast.

Luckily I had made it through the busy post-all-nighter (not a fun college one!) day one - overly busy with a lunch presentation to an audience of around 100. I was uncertain if the queasiness in my own stomach before the meeting was butterflies or bug onset. Butterflies, thank goodness, in retrospect.

This day was slower work-wise.  Not easy, but doable. I did not have a toddler, I had an 11 year old, ultimately savvy with her ipad - busily reading and making silent videos with props in my office while I read slides and made diagnoses. I spaced morning and afternoon visits to the gift shop (she had bday money to spend) around needles in radiology and the ED. We had a long blissful lunch. "Mom, I'm so excited to go to the place you eat work at lunch. I've heard you talking about it for years but have never been." Ugh, really? Am I that far removed? Her eating a turkey sandwich, me munching on a salad - both of us talking about the Divergent premiere I am taking her to next weekend. I'm reading the book so I can help her and her friend get dressed up for it. I wondered tonight what I'm going to wear - I'm that excited.

As I was releasing cases and she was packing up her pillows and gift shop loot she started to do this thing she does when fun things are ending. I used to get really frustrated about it. She focuses on the one negative thing in a day of overwhelming fun and positive. She was trying to leave me a secret fun note under my microscope and was getting angry and upset that I saw. I told her that I worry about leaving my microscope light on and obsessively check it as I'm heading out the door - it would not spoil the surprise because I had no idea what the note said. Last weekend my boyfriend and I took her and two friends to the Lego movie and shopping and she kvetched endlessly over not getting to spend enough time in the mattress store because they spent too much time in the shoe store. I think I'm finally getting it. It's just sadness at ending. It's better to empathize than get angry.

I'm going to miss the hell out of her at work tomorrow - I think she's well enough to return to school. I can't wait to see what that note says. And I am kind of looking forward to more sick days with both her and Jack, now that they are old enough that they don't need my constant attention.



Happy 11th birthday and recovery, sweet and wonderful Cecelia.

5 comments:

  1. Giz, it's so good to "see" you here - have missed you. Sorry about the vomiting but great to be able to spend some QT with your daughter during an impromptu take-your-daughter-to-work-day. I'm looking forward to gaining such insight into my children's behavior in the future -yes, sounds like sadness at the ending of something very good. Happy birthday to Cecelia! You'll have to update us on what the note read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh. Poor Cecelia. And I'm sorry to hear about the massive puke with the incredibly unpleasant clean up it necessitated. Ugh. Hope the whole family is back to normal now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks KC! Yes it's been too long. Sorry for the double post - I'm out of the habit. Note read: "To Taco Mama, I heart U, heart C." It's on the bulletin board.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Took my 12 yo to med school with me on Wed (1st year, so classes only!) in conference no school day. She read books and did sudoku on her kindle. We are the famous mac and cheese and splurged on big cookies in the cafeteria. She heard how popular her GS cookies were with my classmates. The days when she will hold my hand are fewer now and I loved that she wouldn't let go all day. Big kids are awesome! Thanks for sharing your great day with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! Thank you for sharing with me Larissa. Best of luck to you for holding on to her now and in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.