Monday, March 10, 2014

Home sick days

I recently had one of those stomach bugs where I was spending the day racing from bed to the toilet to vomit all day. It was a fun day. I actually had to take one of my rare sick days from work.

But the hardest part of being sick nowadays is that I essentially never get a sick day from home. Not that my husband isn't willing to pitch in, but those days are even more precious than my work sick days. If I ask him to take care of dinner and get both kids into bed, that's not something I'm going to be able ask for again for a while. I certainly can't ask for three or four days of it in a row.

Everyone at work knew I was sick, and going into the weekend, everyone said to me, "Well, at least now you'll be able to relax." Ha! It's way easier to be sick on a weekday.

And this is why whenever we go anywhere, my daughter starts crying that I'm driving her insane with the hand sanitizer.

5 comments:

  1. But…why? Why can't you ask your husband to help out when you're sick, even if it for a few days in a row. Wouldn't you do the same for him? I get that its hard to really relax because there is so much to get done, and I feel horribly guilty for not pitching in if there is any way I can. But I'd definitely expect, that if I needed it, my husband would run the ship solo for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my experience, I can ask for help, but by the third day of him doing the single parenting thing, he's cranky as hell and it's just not worth it. And often he's kind of sick too with the same bug or tired from work, so I feel bad.

      And if he foisted all childcare responsibilities on me 4-5 days in a row, I probably *wouldn't* appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. I had the same thought. I don't have kids (yet) but whenever my husband or I get sick, the other picks up the slack in house chores, pet chores, etc until the other is back on their feet. It only seems fair right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't get it either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw Fizzy, I hope you feel better. Though I have to second Ana's comment that -- why CAN'T you ask your husband to help out more. I mean first off, you're sick. Heck I ask my husband to put my daughter to bed *often* even when I'm not sick. Every relationship dynamic is different, I get that. I just think that you would be well within your rights by most peoples' standards to ask for help even several days in a row if you needed it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.