Monday, February 10, 2014

Who did what?

As a physician, I remember countless patient's details and stories, and as a medical educator I remember student's sagas, issues, and triumphs.  But I have an EMR, chart-stimulated recall, notes.  

At home I have an imperfect record.  I remember the beautiful moments and the laughter and the tears and the growing older as a family, but I sometimes forget which child's nursemaid’s elbow I reduced (3 times).  Which of my 2 children used to grind teeth at night?  Which one wouldn’t let us take the band-aid off for a month after an influenza vaccine as a toddler?  I know who had the UTI (she did) and I know who had the early --now outgrown-- milk protein allergy (he did).  And I know that she now swims, plays guitar, and reads about as avidly as she eats macaroni and cheese. And that he is now a drummer and a young scientist wise beyond his years.  My two are so distinct from one another in many ways, and yet I've forgotten whether it was my son or was it my daughter who erroneously pressed 9-1-1-send on my cell phone.  Come to think of it, they both did that.  Then again, even at 7 and 9 years of age they sometimes call me "dad." And I’m okay with it.  The memories meld together, and the love is shared.  

Does it always matter who did what?

4 comments:

  1. Not as long as you leave the dog out of it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not as long as you leave the dog out of it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you remember what counts. Although...going through back MiM posts brings back tons of memories that would have otherwise been forgotten! Love reading old writing for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yet another cool thing that this online diary does! Thanks for the reminder, that I've chronicled some key memories as they were happening, here in this wonderful forum.

      Delete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.