Saturday, April 6, 2013

Motherhood changes you: cooking and hair braiding

This is not a story of the profound and amazing ways that motherhood changes you.  Its about two simple ways that it has changed me.

Before I had my daughter I had NO domestic capabilities.  I could read directions from a cookbook but my husband was the adventurous one in the kitchen.  Also, despite having a lot of hair, I was completely incapable of controlling it!  When my family members found out I was having a girl, after the congratulations many of them laughed at me and said they felt sorry for my future child and the ridiculous hair she was bound to have!  However, on this almost last day of my vacation I find myself cleaning the kitchen to prepare for tonights culinary adventure and tonight I will engage in a hair-braiding adventure with my beautiful girl in order to be ready for church tomorrow.

My daughter LOVES food.  She is the smallest child in her daycare class but requires two breakfasts in addition to the one dad gives her on the way to school, gets a double portion of lunch and eats two snacks and an adult portion of dinner.  She is a rail thin ball of energy.  She devours everything I make. She smiles and licks her lips and yells things like "SO GOOD MOMMIE!!!!  YUMMY IN MY TUMMY" and my favorite, "I LUB IT!!!!!!"  She loves all the different cuisines I try, Spanish food, Indian dishes, Caribbean dishes, attempts at French cuisine - and it just fuels me to cook more and more.  Thanks to the Pioneer Woman and my Le Creuset pot (a gift because there's no way I could afford one), I am a cooking machine.  My mom gave me a recipe book of family dishes at my bridal shower, I had barely touched it before my daughter was born, and now I use it once a week and I've added a few dishes of my own.  With my busy schedule its something I enjoy and can share with my daughter and provides her with meals even when I'm away from home.  Motherhood made cooking about love.

My baby girl was born with a head FULL of hair.  At two she has a beautiful head full of soft curly hair that stretches down her back.  My husbands hair wrangling abilities are measly at best so I needed a way for her to get to daycare looking un-hobo-ish in my absence.  So with the help of wikipedia and my dads response to my mom mentioning my hair braiding insufficiencies that "She can do anything she wants to do, no reason it will be any different with hair braiding" - I decided to figure it out!  Now each night after bathtime, we sit and watch Dora and I braid like crazy.  I treasure this time with my baby and when I'm done I tell her to go show daddy her "princess hair" (everything must be princess something right now).  She smiles so big and touches her hair and runs to the mirror.  All love.

13 comments:

  1. Inspired by your story. I'm very afraid to have children right bow although I am not even in med school and almost 30 and extra single. I'm still getting out of debt but I know it will prolong me having children especially thinking about going into a surgical field. I have to be honest as well, being of the same race as you, you've inspired me to continue with his journey. Thanks for the post and sorry if this seems like a dumb and stupid comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its not a dumb comment at all! Good luck to you!

      Delete
  2. Unfortunately, because I have boys, the lack of hair styling skills I had before motherhood have only continued afterwards. When we were expecting our last child, my husband worried to no end that it might be a girl. Why? Because he might have to do her hair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very impressive! I also lack domestic skills and any sort of skills in the domain of "girly" things, so it will be interesting to see if they develop as my daughter grows up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love that she is wearing a stethoscope in her hair-do shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this post. Thank you for sharing. I am sure your daughter is wearing her pink princess stethoscope in the picture. Nothing wrong with that. My princess stethoscope is a cardiology master in pretty plum :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks amazing! Thanks for this post. I am soo thankful that my Zo is a boy. I haven't learned how to corn-row yet so it is great to know that you learned how. Question, do you really braid her hair nightly? Looks like the braids in the pictures would last for at least a week or two. Great post! Inspiring. Some of my girlfriends really love a website called chocolate hair, vanilla care. Lots of great styles with how-to pics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So precious! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post. I used to say that I needed to take remedial mom skool classes on girl hair 101. (as well as a class on folding fitted sheets among other domestic challenges). Go you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My "hair wranging abilities" are super inadequate and I worry very much that my daughter sports the "hobo" look more than she should. My only defense is my own hair is equally untamed/unruly most days because I am 32 and still haven't figured out some basic tenets of hair-care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are better than me, Cutter! Luckily my daughter has a long-time sitter and a stepmom who are both excellent at fancy braids and hair. Because that is not an area, despite a few futile attempts, at which I excel. Luckily my homemade turkey meatballs make up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the hair! My 2yo still sports the staticy Einstein look most days by 9am regardless of my efforts to pin it in a ponytail:) Good thing my ponytail falls out by 11 and we match:)

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.