Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Our Nanny - a true gift

When Eldest was born, I was still a resident. Our first attempt at day care was, in short, a disaster.

Despairing at our choices in traditional day care, we decided to look for a nanny. I signed on with a "nanny agency", praying that we would find someone suitable - and quickly. I still remember the first day we met Nanny. We had already gone through several interviews, and hadn't found anyone that we thought would work. Then Nanny walked in. She was obviously a little shy and self-conscious. She teared up when discussing the children she had cared for in her previous job, mentioning how much she missed them. Then, when Eldest toddled over for a closer look at her, SHE GOT DOWN ON THE FLOOR WITH HIM AS SHE WAS SPEAKING TO US. Her rapport with Eldest was immediate and obvious. For us, the decision was made at that moment. Was it the correct decision? I like to think so, as she was with us for more than 10 years. She was available if I had to work late and Husband was on a business trip. She was available on the rare weekend that we didn't have a parent or in-law to sit with the kids and we wanted to go out on one of our infrequent "dates". Although she didn't live with us, she probably knew my house better than I ever will. She still keeps in contact with my children. She was (and is) a phenomenal person. I fear that despite my attempts to thank her my gratitude has fallen far short of what it should have been. So Nanny, if you happen to be reading this, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

A

2 comments:

  1. When we asked our current nanny of 3 years whether she would be staying on with us after 18 months when her contract was up, she said "yes" and was quick to add "I love the kids. And you guys have said thank you at the end of every single day I have ever worked for you." I think gratitude is not far behind a good salary in most nanny wishlists. Good for you for remembering to say it. You should write her a letter, old school style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right - I should. At the end of her time with us, I did put together a scrap book of the kids from infancy to their gangly pre-teens, and gave it to her as part of her going-away present (still haven't done so for the family!) with a "thank you" card - but it still feels somewhat inadequate.
    A

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.