Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Admitting I need help

I recently let me my nanny of four years go, just after having my third kid - yes, I know it sounds crazy but I was having an identity crisis. I decided to take an extended leave from work to enjoy being 'mom' and I was sure that with the older kids (4 yrs and 2yrs) being in school half days that I could manage without help. I've always thought that I can do more than what's normal, in fact, now that I think about it, I think I define myself by being able to go 'above and beyond the call of duty'. Well, sadly I was wrong. I struggled through two months of life with the three kids and found myself tired, disorganized, snapping at my kids, craving time with my husband and over-using my Mom for help.

I've finally come around to the conclusion that it's precisely because I want to be a great Mom that I need help at home.

The challenge is not just finding one, but also managing one. I had a nanny for four years and despite my ability to manage difficult patients on an internal medicine ward, challenging residents in a large academic program and three kids with all different needs (well 4 kids if you count my husband), I find that it is the most challenging to manage my nanny. I realize now it has a lot to do with mother's guilt. I just do not want to see my nanny as an employee, a housekeeper or a babysitter. I want to see her as an extension of myself so that I can say to myself, that my kids are in good hands. For a long time I had a problem with the thought that the same person who would look after my kids would clean my bathrooms - so for a long time, I didn't ask my nanny to do anything but look after the kids. But this meant that when I would come home from work, I would do all the housework while she continued to play with the kids - something is wrong with that picture!
So as I now look for a new nanny, I have come to terms with the fact that firstly, I need help and second, that I need someone who will look after my kids AND my house. I met a family today visiting from Pakistan. The Mom had 3 kids exactly the same age as mine and she said she doesn't know how I do it - because where she lives, there is so much help - for the house and for the kids. She said, where she lives, it's easy to have three kids! After meeting her and after a long few months without help, I now can comfortably say that I need help with both my kids AND my home.

4 comments:

  1. Hard to ask for, hard to find in one package - but sooo worth it when you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard to ask for, hard to find in one package - but sooo worth it when you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard to ask for, hard to find in one package - but sooo worth it when you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ZT,
    I was in your position. After I had my twins 9mo ago (already had 2 older at 4yo and 3yo), I thought I could do it. I took an extended leave and lasted all of 3 weeks b/4 the lack of sleep turned me into a person I did not recogize and did not like. I "gave in" and got help and 8mo later, I am so thankful I did it. She helps around the house, is able to handle up to 3 kids alone (thankfully #1 is now in school). I have trouble admitting to people that I had to get help, but the truth is I would be miserable and my kids and husband would unhappy if we didn't have some extra help at our house.

    Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.