Friday, October 31, 2008

Planting Bulbs



I love autumn. It's always feels like a time of regeneration and new starts, even more than springtime does. A lot of this probably has to do with school beginning in the fall - we get used to a cycle of starting again each September.

Fall is also a time of planting for me; while many look to the spring to sow seeds and plant annuals, I prefer to put in the bulbs that will become the crocuses, daffodils and tulips that I love to look at in the spring.

It dawned on me as I was planting the bulbs that this is very similar to raising kids. What?

I can prepare the beds and make sure the bulbs are as protected as possible from the environment, including harsh weather and rogue squirrels, but ultimately I have to have the faith that the bulbs will grow where I planted them.

Isn't it the same with our kids? We feed, clothe, nurture them, read to them, snuggle and play with them, and love them. We offer the best environment that we can - but ultimately have to recognize that the final outcome may be out of our control. As someone who is used to directing her environment, this is a tough realization to come to grips with. But, I'll sprinkle a bit of fertilizer and nourish both my bulbs and my boys as best I can. And wait for the outcome.

A

P.S. Have a happy and safe Halloween!

2 comments:

  1. I love bulbs, too, especially the ones that come up early, and give me hope in the spring.

    But I think you'll find that fertilizer makes a mess in your kids' sheets. You don't want to ask how I know that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Halloween to you, too!
    MWAS

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.