Friday, October 24, 2008

Me Too


I went to the hospital at 4 p.m. yesterday. Instead of getting home at my usual 2 a.m. and climbing into bed next to sleeping Son, I flew through the door at 7 a.m.. Son and Husband were busily zipping up their coats, ready to hit the road for school and work.
Home about 30 seconds, I saw that something was missing.

I picked Son up and plunked him on the kitchen counter and stuck the patch to his eye.

"Kiss," Son said. I reached up to the cabinet for the daily-after-eye-patch Hershey's reward and put it in his hand.

"No, kiss," he said, puckering his lips.

Duh. Soft, wet, four-year-old lips on mine.

"I really missed you today," he said.

"Me too," I said, swinging him to the floor and patting his bottom as he ran out the door to his father's waiting car.

Me too.

1 comment:

  1. Sigh. Breaks your heart, doesn't it? We were reviewing animal sounds with the Bean (what does the duck say? etc.) When we asked, what does Mommy say? He said, "Bye bye." Made me feel like a criminal. Feeling your pain today...

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.