Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Guest Post: Recipes On The Run

I try to cook healthy, fresh meals at home whenever possible. I have found that having my recipes available wherever, whenever helps me get this done more often and more efficiently.

For those who have an iPhone or are considering one, it’s been a huge help with this. I have an application called “Folders” that allows me to keep my recipes, organized neatly, at my fingertips at all times. I typed in each recipe as a word doc and uploaded them onto the app. I created folders for main dishes, crock pot dishes, side dishes, soups, etc.

Now, with my folders of recipes on my phone, I can decide what to make before I leave the office. I can then stop by the grocery store on my way home and get the ingredients, since I have them all listed in the recipe. When I get home, I make dinner using the recipe on the phone. I know when the dish is done by using my iPhone as a kitchen timer!

I can even find out what the half-price specials are at the grocery store while I’m at the office deciding on a recipe for that night. I pull up the store website on my iPhone, and if ground beef is half price, I’ll pick a dish that uses it.

The iPhone may be a bit pricey, but for everything it’s helping me do (including acting as my pager), it’s been worth every penny.


gcs 15 is a 39 year old full-time neurosurgeon in private practice in a beautiful Southern state. She has a 10 year old son who plays travel soccer and ice hockey. Her wonderful, Type B husband is a primary care MD who quit medicine to be a college professor and loves teaching premed students. She adores her job but hates the politics involved in the practice of medicine. She's always struggling to find ways to get more hours in the day.

1 comment:

  1. First of all, congrats on a fabulous idea - why didn;t I think of it sooner? I have a blackberry, not an Iphone, but it should work just as well holding word docs of my recipes, and since I ahve them all on my computer already, uploading them should be a snap - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.