Sunday, August 10, 2008

Sick mama

I'm sick. Again.

Ever since we started Melly in day care six months ago, I've been sick more than I ever have before in my life. People are beginning to think there's something seriously wrong with my immune system and the jokes about sequestering myself in a germ-proof bubble really aren't funny anymore.

"You're sick again?"

"Yeah."

"Again??"

"Yes!"

"But you were just sick like two weeks ago."

"Yes, I know."

"Boy, you get sick a lot."

"Thanks for noticing."

Aside from some more minor viruses, I've completely lost my voice on two occasions and had two pretty bad stomach viruses. I haven't had a stomach virus since I was four. And now I've got a runny nose and cough in the summer, which hasn't happened to me since I was twelve.

I understand that babies get sick a lot because their little immune systems are still developing, but why do I (presumably with a mature immune system) have to catch every single one of her colds? And how come my husband NEVER catches ANY of her colds? (As if we really need to ask why the resident who barely sleeps is more likely to get sick. Hint: it's not because I'm drinking cups of baby saliva.)

I could deal with being sick, except for how it affects my work. I always try to at least show up, no matter how awful I'm feeling, but I can't dictate or interview patients if my voice is gone. And patients don't want me to touch them, even with gloves on, if my nose is running. I try to hide it the best I can, but every now and then I can't take it anymore and actually do the unthinkable and blow my nose in front of the patient. I got thrown out of the room for that little stunt.

Too bad I don't work in a field where it's possible to call in sick. (As if it's possible for a mom to EVER have a real sick day.)

6 comments:

  1. Ogden Nash said:
    "A family is a unit composed not only of children but of men, women, an occasional animal, and the common cold"
    Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you had your Vitamin D levels tested? Mine were very low and when I started supplementing I stopped getting sick so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so with you. In body, and in spirit, since I spent the weekend with a fever. Again. never sick enough to miss a day of school as a kid, now I'm sick constantly, it would seem. And with fevers, coughs, dreadful stuff I never got as a kid.

    And no, mothers never get a day off.

    I hope you feel better soon. When they kicked you out of the room, did you suggest that you should just go home to sleep if they weren't going to let you do anything?

    ReplyDelete
  4. REMEMBER this in a few years. Your learning a lesson right now that everyone else seems to forget. Have compassion on your colleagues when they go through this same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To chartreuse: I do take daily multivitamins and I live in a very sunny state, so I'm hoping my Vit D levels are OK.

    To lizard: I was kicked out of the room by the patient, who said that she didn't want me touching her with my germy hands (despite the fact that I was wearing gloves). I don't think she cared either way whether I got some rest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm right there with you. My infections progress very quickly from a little tickle in my throat with a minor headache to throbbing head, rattling cough and razor blade throat. I generally wait to see the doctor until the mucus has bright red in it. I can almost count days on a calendar, I am sick every 6 weeks. I assume it has something to do with being the mother of 4 and a child care administrator, but that's just a guess. LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.