Thursday, August 7, 2008

kid bodies

I think one of the most amazing things in medicine is having the privilege of seeing ALL of kids' bodies - all of it - inside and outside. I'm always amazed at their little tiny livers, kidneys, wormy moving intestines, beating hearts, and my favorite - those always expanding lungs. So when I go home and I watch my kids play, or snuggle with them I often just look at them in awe and imagine their insides too and how it all incredibly fits together, continues to grow and works! When they're tired or snugly and not running around like madmen, I hold their rib cages in my hands and feel their breathing and beating hearts, and I trace out their internal organs with my fingers for them (of course they like to concentrate on the food in and poop out part). If I think too long on it I almost always feel like squeezing them, crying and thanking the universe that they are healthy and whole and ALIVE.

5 comments:

  1. We are, indeed, "fearfully and wonderfully made." That scripture comes home to me regularly in this business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite parts are the legs. Those sturdy, jumpy, running legs. For whatever reason, it's their legs that always set me off on the "I'm so amazed that something so wonderful and alive came out of ME" thoughts.. Maybe it's having seen too many kids w/ CP or spina bifida or other that can't walk. I dont know. I just alway thank G-d that my kids are healthy and happy enough and have two strong legs to take them whereever they want to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love kids' fingers and toes. They are so sausage-like and strong and pink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. You really nailed it. I sent it too all my non-doc friends, too.

    And, now, I just realized that you are a pediatric anesthesiologist too, just like me! That makes perfect sense!

    Thanks for putting my thoughts into words. And the pic is perfect, too.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post. You really nailed it. I sent it too all my non-doc friends, too.

    And, now, I just realized that you are a pediatric anesthesiologist too, just like me! That makes perfect sense!

    Thanks for putting my thoughts into words. And the pic is perfect, too.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.