Thursday, June 21, 2018

Disney, food poisoning, and a podcast



My husband took our son for his first trip to Disney for his birthday. Alas, sans me, I was working. But this post is not about any mommy guilt for missing his epic birthday Disney trip. My ideal vacation consists of laying on a beach and gazing into the blue ocean and blue skies. Minimal planning required on my part beyond transportation and lodging. I was happy to skip on the byzantine planning of Fastpasses and Mouse Hacking, and let my son make memories in the magic kingdom with daddy.

Father and son brought back lots of memories. But also food poisoning. On the drive back home, my husband was so violently ill, he didn't feel safe driving back. So instead of waiting a few hours to rest and recover, he suggested I drive several hours to meet him halfway and pick up our son. And he continue driving himself home. Because he must get to the hospital in time to get signout for his patients. Over the years of being married to him, I know better than to suggest logical alternatives to his crazy plans, especially if he is in any state of distress. Luckily that particular day was my day off. So off I was, driving in his general direction, hoping for their mutual safety.

On this drive, I tuned into an episode of one of my favorite podcasts, Hippocratic Hustle. And what a pleasant surprise to hear our very own PracticeBalance, talking about blogging in medicine as her side hustle. I very much enjoyed listening to your voice and your story, just as I enjoy reading your posts!

As a Disney ending to my absurd story, we all got home safely, everyone regained their health and lived happily ever after.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out! I’m working on a post about being on podcasts; I did it because being interviewed and hearing my recorded voice makes me uncomfortable! It turned out to be really fun, and I personally love to use podcasts for education and entertainment. I highly recommend that others check out this growing field of media!
    ANYway - loved your classic story, I very much relate to your description of your husband, and also agree with your sentiments about vacation... Except we’re somehow headed to Disney this summer! So thanks for the “mouse hacks” links. I have a feeling that despite my state of denial, I will need them.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.