Tuesday, July 26, 2016

The Buffer Zone

It's July, the time of year when new interns and residents begin their training programs. It's our busiest time at my academic hospital, where all of the anesthesiology attendings pitch in and teach the newcomers. When I'm teaching in the OR, I always ask a simple question: Why do we care about the patient's blood pressure? They usually get it right - adequate blood pressure ensures good blood flow to the brain and other vital organs. Then I sketch this diagram:



Remember the Circle of Willis from medical school? Along with redundant vasculature, our brains possess an elaborate sensor system that autoregulates cerebral blood flow in a sort of "buffer zone". (This curve may also look familiar to you as the representation of how a buffer acts to regulate the pH of an acidic or basic solution.)

Autoregulation is an evolutionary survival mechanism that is meant to ensure adequate perfusion of the brain at a wide range of blood pressures. But at the extreme ends of measurement, autoregulation breaks down. I love how analagous this is to living life. We proceed through our busy days, oftentimes like a pinball falling through a pinball machine, while stressors are flung at us like flags and obstacles in the vertical maze. Too much or too little input leaves us in dangerously unhealthy territory. The next thing we know, we're fighting a virus... or worse.

How can we stay in our own buffer zones? I try to reprioritize self-care. I take some extra vitamin C, drink warm fluids, sit in an epsom salt bath, write in my journal... Make sure I'm nourishing my body with nutrient-dense foods. Say no to extra responsibilities when I can. Sleep as much as possible!

What are the steps you take when you feel you're falling off your autoregulation curve?

4 comments:

  1. Lots of things but the first thing that comes to mind is a vacation from work. A week is ideal but even a weekend road trip somewhere is heavenly. I find just getting out of the routine of work resets me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree, even just a few days away can really help me too!

      Delete
  2. Friends. Time off. Yoga. Reading. If I can't get to any of those, I find it helps to breathe slow and listen to my breath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh yoga, it's been difficult to fit in w/ the new baby. But I NEED it too! Hoping to get back to it on a more regular basis soon.

      Delete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.