Monday, June 6, 2016

Trading fake patients for real people

MS2 Terrible Twos here. New to MiM, so here is a quick introduction. I am mom to a sweet nineteen month old boy who is into everything and lacks even the faintest inkling of self-preservation. In a former life I received a Bachelor's of Fine Arts from an art school here in the Bay Area, and worked for over a decade in advertising, marketing, corporate event design, apparel, and retail packaging design until I decided that pursuing a career in medicine was truly my dream. Thanks to a lot of hard work, a loving and patient husband, and tons of emotional support from friends and family, that dream has materialized and I am (as of last week) a second year medical student in the Bay Area in California.

Having just completed MS1, one of the most challenging aspects of the medical curriculum this year has been seeing through the text books, algorithms, power points, Quizlets, acronyms, mind maps, case studies, and patient vignettes and remembering that the purpose of all this learning is to support real, actual people with rich histories and complex emotions. The majority of my patient interactions feel so forced and so awkward – so robotic, scattered, and disjointed. I hear standardized patients describe their symptoms and feel myself responding stoically, without empathy to concerns like, “is this serious?”, or "am I going to die?" as I systematically wade my way through OLD CARTS and FED TACOS and remember what a relevant ROS might include for the few differentials I know to consider.

Throughout every standardized patient interaction, every practical exam, and even every time I have performed an H&P on a "real" patient in my school's student run free clinic, I feel as though what limits me from truly developing any sort of rapport with the patient in front of me, actual or standardized, is the tunnel vision that comes from trying to dot every i, cross every t, and check off each and every box on the syllabus.

I understand that there is a learning curve with all of this. As with many professional practices, the only way to get better at them is by doing them over and over again and I recognize that I'll be working toward that for the rest of my medical career. I suppose that what worries me is the fear that throughout my medical practice there will always be a syllabus to consider, be it a QI evaluation report, an insurance audit, filling in every blank on the EMR, or tending to some other system to which I am held accountable.

I would like to believe that all the the awkwardness of MS1 will start to subside as early as this summer when I volunteer at the free clinic -- that the relief of having completed one full year will allow me to relax a little and try to integrate the systematic thinking of MS1 into just another part of my experience and knowledge. My hope is that the breadth of my other experiences prior to coming to medical school, including being a mother, will begin to materialize within those interactions, allowing me to truly connect.

When did it happen for you? When do patients, even standardized ones, cease to present solely as a collection of their signs and symptoms and emerge as actual people, and what tools have you used to transcend the awkwardness of your early medical training?

11 comments:

  1. This might not be popular, but it was true for me: rapport does not come with time. Rapport is the foundation of medicine and MS1 and MS2 is the time to build it. All of the algorithms and ROS and not forgetting crap on your H&P can come later, as your medical knowledge grows. But building rapport should be your primary focus right now. It's normal for it to feel weird with standardized patients, especially if they're not very good, but really work on it as you move to the free clinic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post, great question....you are so early in your training, I would just like to emphasize, it's NORMAL to feel awkward early on. Normal, normal, normal. It is not natural for you yet, to be able to balance the competing mental demands of medical knowledge and incorporating the patient's experience (which is essentially what rapport-building is - your ability to see your patient's perspective). It will come, in time. As you relax more, as your checklists become second nature, you'll be more open to the freedom and flexibility to explore your patient's experience. Prepare yourself - it may stay awkward for awhile. That is OK. I think it says A LOT that you are aware of it and wanting to get some advice.

    In your previous career, did you feel socially awkward? Do you have social anxiety? Or is this feeling unique to your time as a medical student? If you think you might have some underlying social anxiety, it would be great for you to get some help with that sooner rather than later. However, if you are generally at ease meeting new people, then I really believe that this is just a time issue. I have no specific advice per se, except to remind you that you can't get 100% of every checklist every time - and in time, you will see that is not good medicine anyway:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is normal. Put aside all the algorithms at first and spend the first five minutes building rapport. Chat about anything and everything. The group I work with calls this "small talk before big talk." It allows you to enter the room as a human being talking to another human being. Take a look at www.aachonline.org for resources - membership is free to students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the fortune to be hospitalized for a week with EBV hepatitis in my third year. Revolutionized how I understood the patient experience. Another option is to shadow a ward nurse for a shift or two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember feeling a little awkward too, between trying to remember all the questions I had to ask while simultaneously forming a differential and appearing confident and empathetic all at the same time. The nice thing is, a lot of the time you can go back to ask more questions later if you forget something. When I realized that I didn't have to be perfect, it took a lot of the pressure off and I could relax and practice good listening skills. A lot of the time, the patient will basically tell you what their main problem is if you sit quietly and listen attentively to what they say is bothering them. You can work on your differential with your resident later. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome! It will come with time. Be compassionate with yourself - by trying to cross every t at this point, you are trying to provide good care. I love Jay's suggestion to do small talk first. You could even then segue to your "checklist", if you wish- after small talk, ask them to describe the reason for their visit. Allow them to finish (studies show most patients will only speak for a minute or two so it's almost always do-able to let them speak, and it builds rapport) then say, for example, "Ok (name), I'd now like to ask you several questions about your back pain and other health history". Most patients will be every grateful that you're being so thorough.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are right. Medicine being more controlled by insurance companies and hospital administrations and burn out is at an all time high. Physician suicide rates are through the roof. It's worth it, but a lot of us are suffering. A lot of us are fighting back too. I'm still on the fighting side. Welcome great post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oops work computer must have duplicated that comment. I also wanted to say kudos to you for having this insight, as a med student. It has gotten a lot worse over the last ten years.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.