Monday, March 21, 2016

I'm a grown woman and my work bag needs to represent that

What do you do to celebrate yourself? How do you toot your own horn?

I am a part of several very lively on-line support groups for mothers. I love many of the posts and I have especially started to really enjoy the posts that talk about how busy mothers reward themselves with things like fancy purses, fabulous trips and paying off their loans. I don’t think we do as much as we should to celebrate ourselves, to be gentle with ourselves, to love up on ourselves. After the first 8 months of being an Attending, I sometimes realize that besides going to the gym I haven’t done a single good thing just for myself in a week; that’s when I schedule an eyebrow shaping or pedicure appointment (I am overdue for both by the way, uggh!). I am going to start with the purse, build my way up to a trip next year, and before turning 40 - these loans will be paid off!

Back to the bag - the work bag my mother bought me at the beginning of residency has been through a lot. It’s a nice, large personalized LL Bean bag but it has begun to look weathered and frayed. I’m too young to look sloppy and unkempt and I need an upgrade. I went out with some of my Sorority Sisters recently and I noticed how all of the Lawyers had beautifully sculpted, supple leather bags - they were gorgeous! 

That’s when I decided - I’m upgrading myself as soon as I get my first check from my new position (more on that later). My budget is modest and several friends recommended Coach (my favorite is the Coach Mercer Satchel in eggplant) due to their durability and timelessness and some sister-doctors recommended the Dagne Dover (I like the roomy Charlie Tote the best). And now I’m ready for my own, not-a-hand-me-down, grown lady work bag. One that I’ll feel like singing Beyonce’s “Grown Woman” out loud as I carry it into my new office. 

Any recommendations for your favorite work bag or purse? One that will not be flashy while commuting on the DC metro? One that will allow me to easily go from work to picking up Zo from kindergarten?

14 comments:

  1. Tory Burch is another middle of the road (in cost) but very stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca Minkoff is my absolute fave for bags/wallets. Amazing quality for the price point. It's middle of the road prices as well, but if you wait for their online sample sales, their stuff all goes 50% off. Sign up for their e-mails online and just wait for a notification about an online sample sale! https://www.rebeccaminkoff.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Tory burch Ella tote...very lightweight and roomy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need one too! Thats first on my "real job" list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just went through this. My youngest is about to be out of diapers so I went with more of a briefcase thing from Saddleback Leather. Beautiful bag but definitely a briefcase. So a stylish bag would be nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Hobo brand. Sleek, contemporary, supple leather bags.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Fordo. Hobo makes simple but beautiful leather bags.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coach stuff is gorgeous but heavy - that eggplant is SO luscious, though. Hmm. My bags are all Vera Bradley - not such a splurge, very durable, I love the colors and my teenager thinks I'm cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Lo and Sons. They have a stunning structured leather tote. My favorite that I use every day is the OMG. The organization elements are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All of my work bags have come from Coach outlet stores! Beautiful, soft leather, classic designs that don't go out of style, lots of pockets/compartments which keep me sane. They're also always offering an extra 20-40% off the outlet prices so I've gotten ridiculous deals.

    ReplyDelete
  12. very highly recommend dagne dover - it's stylish and functional as well as low key

    ReplyDelete
  13. For my workbag, I've been getting affordable but stylish bags from New York and Co. Kate Spade has similar but of course more expensive versions. I have one back in an understated black and grey pattern, and a recent one in a blush color. It has a central pocket for a possible labtop,but rest of the main compartments can be filled with anything from food/diapers/papers/pagers. There's also small pockets to carry your cell phone and wallet,keys...check it out here : http://www.nyandcompany.com/nyco/prod/accessories/handbags/union-square-collection-tote-/A-prod4040016/?An=102564#.VwP9BBMrLBI

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ladies! Thanks for coming through with the recommendations. I have checked out (on-line) each of the bags that you recommended. They are soo pretty! I am going to "test drive" a few this summer - am leaning toward getting 2 to rotate. Top choices now are the Coach Mercer Satchel and the Lo and Sons OMG bag :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.