Friday, December 4, 2015

First outsourcing of help

Well, I have done it.  After years of considering this, I have made the decision to hire a cleaning lady.  I have always felt perfectly capable of doing my own dusting/vacuuming/etc. but the time has come that I feel it is too much of a burden with not enough reward.  I feel so so guilty about the money it will cost, but I know it is a small price to pay for extra hours with my family, or just some time to relax instead of clean.

This cleaning lady was referred to me by a coworker, and I was secretly hoping that when she came to meet, I wouldn't like her, or feel that she would do a good job.  But I had such a good feeling about her and all that she said she would do... Clean the windows???  Vacuum under the couch cushions??? For me, this is a one time per 6 months kind of cleaning (please nobody judge)!  After she left, I asked my husband, "Have we really gotten to that point in our lives?"  I am turning a blind eye to the money, and I know it's worth it, I know it's worth it... is it worth it??

9 comments:

  1. So worth it. This was a huge tension between my husband and I in residency. We had 2 young kids and I like things cleaner than he does. So coming home to a disaster after a long night on call was not good for us. Especially since he had been managing his job and 2 kids! Totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So worth it. This was a huge tension between my husband and I in residency. We had 2 young kids and I like things cleaner than he does. So coming home to a disaster after a long night on call was not good for us. Especially since he had been managing his job and 2 kids! Totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely. I went from once a month to every 3 weeks and heading toward every other week. At this point, time/relaxation is more important than the money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very worth it, you need to maximize the time you have. No need to feel guilty. You don't do your own plumbing or dry cleaning, this is just another service that when you look at the value of your time, it is far more efficient to outsource!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely worth it. I used to feel that asking someone else to clean was implying that somehow the work was beneath me or I wasn't willing to do it - neither of which were true. My husband and I were just at a stage of life where we were working parents of four kids and we were so thankful for the woman who has her own business, was willing to help with our crazy household, and has become a dear friend. Now that my children are older, I'm teaching them to take over many of the cleaning and cooking tasks (yes, my preteen boys make meals). It takes a village.

    ReplyDelete
  6. TOTALLY worth it. We have weekly cleaning and I LOVE it. A friend of mine hires a college student to come in daily for an hour and do the dishes and other chores...my fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Completely worth it and guilt free. A colleague recently laid it out for me like this: "if it costs less than your hourly wage to have something done and that activity does not bring you joy, happiness, relaxation, outsource it." The idea behind it was if you love to cook and clean, do that, if you love to garden, don't hire a gardener. If your valuable time is better spent elsewhere, harbor no guilt. You are using your time efficiently. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Completely worth it and guilt free. A colleague recently laid it out for me like this: "if it costs less than your hourly wage to have something done and that activity does not bring you joy, happiness, relaxation, outsource it." The idea behind it was if you love to cook and clean, do that, if you love to garden, don't hire a gardener. If your valuable time is better spent elsewhere, harbor no guilt. You are using your time efficiently. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best decision ever!! So much more time to spend with my little one. We cut back in other areas and haven't looked back since. Enjoy the peace and cleanliness!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.