Wednesday, September 16, 2015

The Help

One of the downsides of having kids that are a little bit further apart in age, is that it may very well require separate drop offs and pick ups. I'm lucky in that I can pick both kids up at the same place, but they need to be dropped off at two separate places.

You know what's really fun to do in the middle of the winter, when it's -2 degrees out? Having to pack two children into a car, race to one school, where I have a 10 minute window between when the school opens and when my daughter will be tardy, then race to a daycare to drop off child number two. And then finally get to go to work and embark on a long day, which practically feels like a relief at that point.

My husband was supposed to drop one kid off and I was supposed to drop the other one off. But it seemed like at least a couple of times a month, he couldn't bring either of them in, and the stress of doing the double drop off meant that I would sleep horribly the night before, which would make the whole thing that much harder. It resulted in more than one fight.

Finally, a few weeks ago I decided it was enough. I was going to hire somebody to drop one of the kids off in the morning.

So I did. We have a woman who comes in an hour before school starts, who tidies up our apartment, gets both kids ready, and then drives my older daughter to school.  (In case you're wondering, the school bus does not stop anywhere convenient.)

It feels decadent to have this woman come. After all, I am right there. Why can't I get my own kids ready for school? Why can't I drop them off?  Why can't I tidy up my own apartment?  Why am I throwing money away on things I could do myself?

Yet she's sort of a lifesaver.  So I'm just going to try to enjoy it and not let myself feel guilty.



7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a husband, a dog, and one baby on the way. I have a small house (less than 1000 sq feet). I recently hired a cleaning lady. Could I do it myself - of course. Do I want to? No. I refuse to feel guilty about spending MY hard earned money on things that I enjoy. If you enjoy having this lady come over and help, then that's what you should spend your money on. Period. Doesn't matter if you could theoretically do all of the things that she does yourself - tackling everything is a recipe for burnout ... which I'm sure you're aware of. What I'm trying to say is, I think the "helper" lady sounds like an amazing idea and one I could see myself using in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you find someone reliable, outsourcing is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Details on how you found her please! What was your job posting? How much does a service like this cost?!? I need this in my life!!! I am the ABSOLUTE WORST with morning child wrangling and with me he is always running in right before being late (this morning he WAS late because of me)!!! Details please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about care.com, the best website ever.

      Delete
  5. I love love love having someone available to drive my not-old-enough-to-drive-herself teenager around. Could I do it? yeah, if I broke my neck to get out of work and spent time cursing at rush-hour traffic. Are we all better off if I don't do it? ABSOLUTELY.

    I've always had more childcare than I "needed" and never felt guilty about it until it devolved into just driving. I don't know why, but that feels - wrong. I do it anyway because it's necessary - and tidying? You hired someone to tidy? Be still my heart.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.