Monday, January 26, 2015

That way you talk

I was in the office speaking with a parent and her kids at some point in the past year (how's that for sufficiently anonymized).  The mother was gazing at me for just a little too long.  She could have been pondering my most recent question, or may have been lost in thought, but at that moment I opted to ask her gently if she was okay.  And she simply said, "I'm sorry, I just love the way that you talk with my kids."

Oh how that made me feel that I'm right where I should be and doing what I should be doing.  She saw the way I really ask, really listen, and aim to motivate. It's working, at least in this case. 

You've probably heard similar positive comments from time to time about how you communicate with your patients.  And yet, if I could only do so at home!  I can be ever so calm and motivating, building partnerships, and serving as a measured and informed voice of reason at work.  And while I want to consistently do the same at home, I CAN'T HELP YELLING. AT MY KIDS. SOMETIMES. GOT TO WORK ON THAT.  You?

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful feeling to get that kind of feedback that you are doing what you are meant to be doing, using your talents in such a meaningful way. But, yes, it's all too easy not to apply the same communication principles at home - I do that all the time. I'm mindful at work to actively listen but sometimes too preoccupied at home to really listen to what my children are trying to tell me.Or yelling. A good reminder to be more present and as good as a communicator at home as at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, a good reminder, for more mindfulness and presence in parenting. Even though we may tend to be multitasking MiM's. Maybe I should put it on one of my to do lists!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, by the time I'm home from work, I've already spent considerable energy and effort on focusing intellectually and communicating well with patients.... Once home, It's so easy to be distracted, and let slide into easy, bad habits like yelling... I am glad that I work part-time, b/c on workdays, I tend to leave my better self at the office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, can happen with part-time work too.

      I must say, I've found that I've gotten better (more peaceful and mindful!) even since --and perhaps because of-- posting this here earlier this week. Getting a good night's sleep has helped too!

      Thanks for commenting genmedmom.

      Delete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.