Saturday, October 19, 2013

BEST WEEK EVER!

I've been on vacation this past week.  Since I had nothing pre-planned I decided to make it a stay-cation.  It was much needed, as all vacations are.  This time, I didn't have my typical residency feeling of wanting to emotionally implode prior to the vacation starting.  I was just happy and ready to have some time off as I transition to another rotation.

My husband has demanded all week that I have "me time" and salon time and manicure time, etc.  But, for this vacation all I wanted to do was hang out with my precious girl.  I was literally giddy with excitement planning activities for us to do.  Now that she is almost 3, she is so curious and at a perfect age to do things.  I had prepped her for our week of "adventures" and she was just as excited as I was.  She kept telling people that she wasn't going to school because she was going to hang out with mommy.  Well, we hung out, and with one day to go I can say hands down that this has been the BEST WEEK EVER!!

We went to museums, the library (about 1 million times, its our "spot!"), different parks, we had picnics and did crafts at home - it was AWESOME!  But the even better part about our awesome week of adventures, is that, the thought of going back to work on Monday doesn't make me want to vomit.  The call night before my vacation started we had a few emergent-ish, difficult-ish cases that I felt comfortable with.  The morning after my call, one of my former med students from an earlier rotation, called me aside to help him think through a patient situation.  This call marked the end of my chiefdom at the knife and gun club hospital that we rotate through and I truly feel like I have surgically and clinically matured since I was here a year ago.  It was a great call to mark the start of my vacation.  

Today, at the science museum I ran into a former chief at our program.  He finished the year before I started but was technically in the building on my first day of intern year.  He ran into the group of new interns as he was saying his final goodbyes. He was all smiles as he left the building on his final day of a long surgical residency.  I was right at the door as he was walking out.  He gave me a hug and said "Welcome!" Then he chuckled and left.  I had never seen him again until today.  I re-introduced myself and we did some shop talk as our kids played in the aerospace exhibit.  He was still all smiles and at the end he said, "its long but its so worth it!"

So to summarize, I just had the best week ever, just being a mom.  I am really happy with my career.  And, to top it off, I've witnessed proof of the light at the end of the tunnel.

Happy Saturday!









8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had time like that. We all need quality time with our families, recharge, recenter, and then charge back into.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is toooo cute!!! Good for the two of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a lovely stay-cation! Awesome! Love the baby pic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, thanks for the FANTASTIC post. So glad you guys had such a fabulous week, and glad that it only encourages you with regards to your career. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds AWESOME. So glad you guys had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this post gives me hope that one day all the sacrifices and hard work will be worth it. Good job on being a role model!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.