Thursday, August 15, 2013

Taking Advantage

I've talked about how flexibility is really important for a female physician with young kids, and fortunately, it seems like more jobs are willing to provide it. However, I feel like if you're granted this flexibility, you have to be extra careful not to take advantage.

I don't work with anyone now who I feel takes advantage of this flexibility. But I've seen it in the past and I've heard a lot of stories. For example:

--Calling in sick excessively... like, every Friday

--Leaving early frequently if that's not part of your schedule

--Using your kids as an excuse to get out of just about everything

I'd like to think most women are responsible enough not to do this, but I'm not so sure. What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. Meh, lazy people are lazy regardless of gender and childbearing status. They will take advantage of any excuse to duck out of responsibility and legitimize what they do.

    They just make whomever else who is like them look bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think this is a problem limited to moms/the female gender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But using kids as an excuse for it does seem to be.

      Delete
  3. I am a bit put off by your post. I have had the opposite experience. Often, guys feel whatever excuse they conjure up is justified, but women are so paranoid that they will be seen as the unproductive doctors for having a baby, they are afraid to take time even when it is completely justified. And if, God forbid, they take some time, they feel like they have to keep apologizing. Posts like yours, I am sure don't help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Men and women can both be slackers, but I think women are much more likely to use their kids as an excuse for it. I dislike that, because it makes the rest of us look bad.

      Delete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.