Saturday, June 23, 2012

Last day


I’ve half drafted about 4-5 entries that still are unfinished in my MiM folder.  I definitely plan to eventually post the ones about my journey as daughter and doctor dealing with my mom’s recent breast cancer diagnosis.  It has been a difficult, emotional, strengthening, family building, strange, roller coaster of an experience.  So far, things are going well.  However, I’m writing just a short entry today.  Today is my last day of “freedom.”

Tomorrow I’m back in the hospital, a resident again after my two year lab hiatus.  I start off as transplant chief.  I am completely terrified and completely excited. My life has changed so much in these two years. My special necklace with a pearl and my daughters name on it just arrived from Etsy yesterday.  I love my beautiful girl so much!!  I hope I’m doing the right thing.  I’m completely motivated to make her proud.  My life these two years has been a roller coaster of emotions.  I’ve gone from loving my anesthesiologist who put in my epidural so much that I was convinced anesthesia was my new calling.  Then I was convinced that I must find a way to be a stay at home mom - otherwise I thought my life would be impossible to balance.  But, now the hormones are fading, the Zoloft is working (prob TMI - but you’ll hear more about that if I ever post the post-partum depression entry I wrote), and I’m amped up to be a surgeon.  Two years of cancer research has given me some clarity.  I feel confident that I want to be a breast surgeon (also one of the entries on file).  So, I have 3 more years to get as much out of all the other amazing types of surgery that I also love.

Wish me luck!

Cutter

4 comments:

  1. Sending good thoughts your way! I love that, in medicine, it's the height of summer that represents a new chapter for so many of us, just as flowers are blooming and everything is so vibrant and green. Much better environment than Jan 1, and more daylight, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luck!

    And I'd love for you to post about your PPD experience. I don't think it is TMI at all to talk about it. We need more transparency and some success stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larissa, I will definitely try and post it. The main reason I want to post it is for transparency. I knew what was going on, and once I was getting better and more open about it, I realized that some of my friends realized something was wrong/knew what was going on. It needs to be less taboo. I'm surrounded my doctors, nurses, and various other health professionals all the time and although I tried to hide it, in retrospect - I WAS A MESS!!! But, no one wanted to say anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! Sounds like a new and exciting change. I just started residency myself, so we're kind of in the same boat with new beginnings. Love following your blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.