Monday, January 30, 2012

Guest Post: I won't be the first, and I won't be the last

"Are you crazy?" This question, or others of the same variety, that range from "are you SURE?" to "Is your husband okay with it?" describe most of the reactions I get when I tell people that I plan to start medical school this summer. While the reactions were a bit less intense when I declared my medical aspirations as a single woman during undergraduate school, the shock factor increased exponentially once I got married and pregnant, with a baby due this April before the summer I hope to begin.

One part of me wants to scream, "No! I'm not sure, I'm freaking out, and your skepticism and complete lack of confidence is not helping!" The sane, collected persona that answers, however, jokingly replies "I'm not the first and I won't be the last! I'm sure we'll be okay."

In an effort to quell the bubbling fears of anxiety that increase with each kick of my growing baby and doubt from my peers (interestingly, mainly from my parents' friends and less from individuals of my own generation) I look to websites like MiM and other blogs that discuss women with similar experiences. I take comfort from their humor, honestly, and tales of unimaginable successful balancing acts.

I look forward to joining the community of people that "are not the first and won't be the last." I am excited to pursue a career that I have a passion for and a deep interest in.  I hope that with all the changes in healthcare, I can still make my current ideal of a family physician or pediatrician a financial reality. I also hope that I find a voice to one day inspire those that are looking down the same path, the way that many other anonymous Mom MD's inspired and bolstered me.

-M2B


I am an aspiring medical student, starting medical school in August 2012. I grew up in Los Angeles, but am waiting to hear where I'll be studying medicine next year. I am married to a wonderfully supportive man who has no idea what a wife in medicine will bring, but is up for the challenge. I am expecting our first child in April, and am excited to start on this crazy adventure.

7 comments:

  1. No matter what you choose to do, once you have a child there will be people who disapprove or shake your resolve. Hopefully you will also find people who support and encourage you. The great thing is, you get to choose to whom you will listen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Susan. There will always be people who disapprove of your choices in life, whatever they may be, but the important thing is to make the choices that seem right to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also starting medical school this fall. My children will be 3 and 2. I get similar responses whenever I mention it. I finally just stopped telling people my plans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are not the first and you surely not the last, because I'm following your path!!! And I have 2 children!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, A very insightful post. Thanks for the info. Its great that if our default settings are giving us messy or stringy builds, this dialog can probably help.Thanks
    for the information.

    kamagra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved your post! I will be starting medical school next year as well and find such comfort in this blog as I plow on ahead with my dreams to be both a mother and doctor. My mantra in this too has been 'others have done it, so you can you'. But without fail every single response thus far has been - 'wow!...what does your husband think about it? whats he going to do?' - umm he's going to work, just like his now, and obviously he is fine with it because I'm not announcing I'm getting a divorce!!! why is that everyone's reaction?!??! its driving me nuts!!! if you have an answer, let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started my first year of medical school 36 weeks pregnant. I had my baby 3 weeks into the first block via c-section and returned to school 3 weeks later. Always remember that being a mother and medical student is possible; never let anyone tell you anything else. I was greeted with the same comments from everyone except for my parents and husband that I was flat out crazy for going to medical school 9 months pregnant and suggested I take a year off. But, of course I ignored them and stayed the course. Now I am finishing my 3rd block and my grades are not as bad as I thought they would be considering I am a wife and new mom with lots responsibility outside of school. Will there be days you are stressed to max-yes Will there be days you pray to God for an extra 4 hours in the day so you can finish your to do list -yes Will there be days you wish you could have studied a little harder for a test but couldn't because you had to take of your child-heck ya Being a mother and med student isn't easy but IT IS POSSIBLE!! With the help of a good support system, great time management (make every free moment at school count), and strong determination YOU CAN DO THIS!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.