Wednesday, September 14, 2011

We will all go down (and then up again) together.

Seeing and hiking the Grand Canyon through the eyes and feet of a 5 and a 7 year old. With husband. Which family member thought which thing?
  • There is no railing.
  • There are lots of large mules with large body parts and large piles of poop.
  • I'm thirsty.
  • There is vast beauty, and vastness in general.
He who notes there is no railing (husband-pediatric-researcher) also notes that there are many death defying curves and rocks and edges and did I mention there is no railing? On the very top rim there may be a railing, but what about on the hike down into the canyon? Nope. No railing on our trail. Mules? Check. Mule poop? Check. Spectacular views? Check. Opportunities to fall to one's death? Check.

What, me worried? And yet for some reason I was not. Probably because pediatrician-researcher husband did enough worrying for more than both of us.

It was truly awesome, not in the like totally 80's way, but in the I am just a speck in this immensely astounding planetary way.

Yes, they could fall over the edge, get heatstroke, dehydrate, burn in the sun, fall over the edge.

Holding hands. We will all go down (and then up again) together.

3 comments:

  1. Gives me the willies to think about, and yet so, so, so, so, so good for everyone involved!

    I note that my state (Utah) leads the nation in traumatic injuries to children, but also has among the healthiest children. Which isn't surprising, when you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like such a lovely family vacation.

    I love the variety of thoughts you all had going through your minds.

    I think I would have thought all of the above. Most certainly: there is no railing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hh - What I've seen of Utah is beautiful, haven't been in a while.

    kc - yep, no railing!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.