Friday, April 16, 2010

Who would have thought a volcano would erupt?

I'm stuck in Frankfurt...alone. I planned it all so well. I was attending a conference this week in Luxembourg, planned to be away for four nights from my three kids. My parents are helping, nanny is helping etc. I was supposed to get back on Friday and my husband was to leave for a meeting in Houston - essentially passing the baton....I don't travel much so needless to say I spent a lot of time making detailed plans for the kids - sleepover at grandparents home, rides to activities etc....after all that planning and a deep wish for my travel not to become a burden on anyone, I am now stuck for what looks like three more nights!! I guess you can plan all you want but who would have thought a volcano would erupt?

I was supposed to fly out of Luxembourg this morning but when I realized my flight was not going to leave, I took a train to Frankfurt and re-booked for a flight out tomorrow morning. As soon as I got here, I was told that the Frankfurt airport is also closed and that I would likely not be able to get out before Monday....Monday!!!

The worst part is that I have spent the last 24hours in panic-mode unable to relax. I finally went for dinner in my hotel and took a Real Simple Magazine, trying to relax...I'm so used to multi-tasking it was a really hard day to just be in the moment. I kept thinking I should open my netbook and finish checking email, or work on some of my work projects or send emails from the conference contacts.

Finally, it occured to me that I needed to do what I do best. Make a To-Do list for my weekend away. And finally I started to realize that this weekend is an opportunity to indulge in some 'me' time. I made a list of all that I would do if someone gave me a weekend off...

Now I'll do what I always do and spend the next two days checking things off that list! What's on my list? Well - it definitely includes shopping, pampering and some blogging as well :)

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like you need to relax with a nice glass of wine and enjoy Frankfurt. Might as well make the most of the situation. Everyone will be fine without you..they don't really have a choice.

    Glad you figured it out before the weekend was up.. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. This so easily could have been me. I was in France last week - for my first extended absence from my daughter - and flew home Wednesday night.

    I keep thinking about how stressed out I would've been if I were stuck... and how lucky I am to be home.

    I am SO SORRY that you are stuck. But you might as well make the best of it ;).

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband's stranded in Frankfurt too! Was supposed to come home tonight, now looks like early next week.

    I told him the same - it's not every day your plans are interrupted by a volcano. Do whatever you can to make the most of it. You'll never forget this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! Make that list and ENJOY yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your weekend. I've never been to Germany, or even Europe. You are going to remember this weekend a lot more than your kids - might as well make the most of it.

    It's going to be rainy, here in the South. Good movie weekend. The pollen is worse than it has been in a hundred years, according to many (they've been around that long, I wonder?). We're all sniffling our way through the week, hoping the rain will give us some relief from our red, itchy eyes (well, those of us who have been outside - I've been in the lab basement). Hope you have nice weather, and if not, enjoy a book at the hotel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, it is hard to be away! Not "Real Simple" by any means. Glad you can try to find time for yourself given these circumstances. Whenever I travel for work I always leave home at the latest possible time and return as soon as I can, staying for just as long as I need to for whatever conference/meeting I'm at, cutting it really close. But some built in or forced (in your case) extra time for yourself is something new to explore... Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband is stuck in Paris. Both of you are eager to be home. I pray it is soon for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for your comments - just checking now. I actually ended up going to Paris (have a family member there) and yesterday made my way to Barcelona by train to catch my flight booked for tomorrow - it has been an unforgettable week - a treat, ridden with anxiety and many messages for my spirit...one of which is to slow down and enjoy the journey of life :) Thanks for all your good wishes and hopefully the next time I write will be from home!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.