Sunday, April 5, 2009

Hello, unemployment!

In less than three months, I will be graduating from residency.

I can't tell you how much I've been waiting for this over the last four years, especially the last two years since I had my daughter. I didn't get to take as much maternity leave as I would have liked and all I could think about was how wonderful it would be to have a few months off with my baby. About a year ago, I made a list of all the things I wanted to do when I graduated. I lost the list, but I think "healthy cooking class" was on it somewhere.

Now my dream of finishing residency is so close that I can touch it. And instead of being thrilled, all I can think about is that I wish I had a job lined up. I wish I were doing a fellowship. Anything.

Part of it is that being unemployed is no longer cute or funny now that the economy is in the crapper. Not finding work is a real fear for me. I waited longer than my colleagues and continue to not look aggressively because I'm making a big geographical move after residency and interviewing would be difficult and pricey. So instead, I sit and worry.

I'm hoping the job situation isn't as bad as I fear. After all, I get daily calls from recruiters.... SIX of them emailed me last week to wish me a Happy Doctors Day, whatever that is. I just need one person to give me a chance. I'm not picky. My back up plan is to simultaneously apply for fellowships, since at least I'm only competing with graduating residents for those spots.

I just wish I could enjoy this break that I've been waiting for so long.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on being almost done! You'll get a job. It will be ok. Still scary though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, as a soon-to-be-unemployed (laid off) physician, I will tell you that I feel your anxiety loud and clear.

    My advice: Breathe.

    The more we try to control things, the less likely it is for miracles to work their ways in our lives.

    Am I taking my own advice? Not consistently, but I'm trying.

    Peace, sister. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have high hopes that it'll all work out once you are in your new location, and you'll get that healthy cooking class plus bonus time with your daughter as you line up your dream job. I'm pulling for you. One suggestion (take it or leave it, of course) is to keep searching for the job you want rather than a fellowship unless you actually want further training in that area. Be well and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on almost being done!!

    I am sure things will work out job wise. I can completely understand feeling apprehensive. I moved to a new city without a job and I was very worried about unemployment. Granted, I'm a lawyer, not a doctor, but things did work out even with the economy being so bad.

    I had a few months in between taking the bar exam and finding out the results so that I could get a job. My biggest regret is not savoring that time off as much as I should have. I spent too much time worrying about getting a job and too little time enjoying my free time. I hope you can find a way to put your worries aside and savor your break. You've earned it! You'll be working again before you know it, so live it up and enjoy while you can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the encouraging words, you guys. You're right... I should savor this time cuz it may end up being the last break I get for a long time.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.