Sunday, February 8, 2009

to a pediatrician, blue is not good

Well he's either cyanotic or it's really that cold out. That's what his preschool teacher, whom I respect and admire, asked me about at drop-off one recent 20 degree day. She didn't explicitly mention cyanosis, just a concerned question about whether it's really that cold out. An innocent, "why are his lips blue?" And his fingers too, upon closer inspection.

Am I stressed? Is this a tet spell?

Why are his lips blue?

Check pulses and the other ABC's (of resuscitation, not of the alphabet)? Stat EKG? Pulse ox? Echo? He's a healthy 2 year old. My healthy 2 year old. Not known to be short of breath while rocking out with his Daddy's guitar, not known to tire easily, might miss a nap but not a heartbeat. What to do? Is he blue?



Well, blue berry.

That's his breakfast. Frozen blueberries in warm oatmeal. Today more on his lips (and fingers) than in his mouth. I've heard they're pretty good for you, too.

9 comments:

  1. My daughter loves frozen blueberries and damn, those things stain everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, it is so easy to worry when you know too much. Glad that was all it was though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once had a kid come in with blue legs - a strange blue - not what I was used to seeing with cyanosis. Pulled out an alcohol swab and gave it a swipe. Wouldn't you know the stuff came right off! It was the indigo dye from a new pair of jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like you forgot the part where you brush your teeth, or your mouth after breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once I completely freaked my pediatrician out when she asked me to "open up and say ahhh" --my whole tongue was electric lime-green because of some bubble gum I'd just had, ha ha. The look on her face was priceless, not to mention hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love berries in oatmeal. Much yumminess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I covered Blue Mouth Syndrome here:

    http://www.wheresmycape.com/blog/2007/08/medical-advic-2.html

    It's the worst when you have mouth-to-hand-to-white-furniture transmission.

    ReplyDelete
  8. KC, we should collaborate and write this up for a scholarly journal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it. I've had the frantic ER patient with new blue jeans, too... Diagnosing that is one of the few times, as an emergency physician, that I've felt real gratefulness from a family ;).

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.