Monday, January 19, 2009

Guest Post: iud


Funny #1

Yesterday, four year old Z spied my IUD pin on the lapel of my white coat. “Mommy!” he exclaimed, excitedly. “You have a POGO stick on your white coat!”

I smiled at him. “Why, yes I do!” Four is not age appropriate for methods of birth control. We’ll get there, don’t worry. Besides, why spoil his fun?

“Mommy, you bounce on those!” (Insert joke here). “But, you have to hold on!”

I was laughing so hard I could hardly drive by this point.

“Mommy,” he said, seriously. “I want a pogo stick when I’m a big kid.” Oh, you may get one, Z, but it will probably be a little different than the one daddy bounces on currently.

Funny #2

Today Z and I were talked about how he misheard something I had asked him to do. I said “I think it’s because you have elephants in your ears,” borrowing a joke from his pediatrician.

“I do not have elephants in my ears, I have little drums,” said Z, indignantly. I started giggling and, was of course, looking at his ears and spied a little stray wax. So I started to do the unfightable mom instinct thing and stuck my pinky in there to get it, and Z said “No! Don’t take my drums!”

(Cross-posted at Mom's Tinfoil Hat.)

5 comments:

  1. I too have an IUD pin on my white coat. One day I was counseling a postpartum patient about getting an IUD....and she asked if it goes on her shoulder. Like where mine was.

    I could not stop laughing after I left that room!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha ha! You know, I've heard that people will take things very literally sometimes.

    A good example also regarding birth control. I know a midwife who swears she taught a group of women to put on condoms using a banana as a model. She says that when one woman still got pregnant soon after, she asked her if she was using the condoms. The woman said yes, they put one on a banana every time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyone know where I can get one of these IUD lapel pins for my white coat?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deperately seeking an IUD lapel pin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bayer (maker of Mirena) is the supplier of mine. I am not sure if they are still available now that the rules have changed about pharmaceutical shwag, but I got mine about a year ago.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated as a spam precaution. So.Much.Spam.